Jpg's on Forum
All  1-2  3-6

Previous
Next
2038.3 In reply to 2038.1 
Hi TwinSnakes - unfortunately I can't repeat the problem over here.

I tried clicking on the above "test" image link in the following browsers:

Opera 9
Firefox 3
IE7
Safari 3
Chrome beta

And in each case it seems to work as expected, with the image being opened up in a browser window rather than popping up a download dialog.

Can anyone else repeat the problem?

Maybe it is possible that your settings in the Windows system registry for how to handle the .jpg file extension has gotten messed up somehow.

But let's see if anyone else can repeat the same problem with the above image or not.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2038.4 In reply to 2038.1 
Hi TwinSnakes - also one other thing, you wrote that you see: "<filename>.jpg.jpg"

with a repeated .jpg.jpg in there, was that a typo or do you actually see that repeated file extension?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2038.5 In reply to 2038.3 
Hi Michael,

I'm using Firefox 3.0.3 & it works exactly as it should on your test & other Forum images.

regards Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2038.6 In reply to 2038.1 
Hi TwinSnakes, it does not seem like anyone else is having this jpg download problem.

Since it seems to be affecting multiple browsers for you, I think it is likely that something in your Windows system registry for MIME type settings could have gotten messed up.

If you want to check this out, what you would do is go to Start / Run and run regedit.exe

Be careful with the registry editor because it is easy to mess stuff up, in fact it is probably a good idea to do a system restore point before doing this.

Then expand the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT branch, and there will be a huge list of all sorts of file extension stuff. Scroll down until you find .jpg. When you click on it, the panel to the right should have a "Content Type" entry that says "image/jpeg" - this is the MIME stuff which is used to associate what a downloaded file extension is supposed to be treated as. If this is not set your browser could mis-interpret images as unknown file types and try to download it instead of view it directly.

Here is a snapshot of what is should look like:

Do you possibly have nothing in there under .jpg or does it say something different than image/jpeg for Content Type ?

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-6