Chamfer Edge..

Next
Just downloaded the 30-day trial of MoI. Congratz on a really well implemented tool - i think something like this could really bridge the gap for poly-modellers like myself who need a good functional Nurbs toolset that is not featured within packages such as 3dMax and C4d etc..

It`s taken me about an hour to get up to speed on how things are done with MoI and so far i`ve created this Sky tv remote control.

The problem i`ve encountered is getting these particular edges to chamfer. As can be seen i`ve had no problems chamfering the main edges of the object but the ones around the two booleaned holes wont budge..

The circles were booleaned out then extruded, and the extruded surface was then `Union` booleaned back onto the main surface. Not sure if its because each circle edge is broken into 3 parts and not joined as a single curve..

Any help at this stage would be appreciated :)

3dm file attached.
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2030.2 In reply to 2030.1 
Hi Spiffy, yes that kind of multi-edge situation tends to make the calculations more complex and there was a bug in v1 in handling that.

It is fixed in the current v2 beta release, I've attached a chamfered version here as test1_chamfered.zip that I did in v2 so you can continue with your model.

The chamfer in v2 though is limited that it can't get any bigger than this, it will not work when it runs out of room here:

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2030.3 In reply to 2030.1 
It bevels just fine here. You have to be careful about how far you attempt to bevel/chamfer an edge. If your first value doesnt produce a result for some reason, it usually means its too large of a bevel/chamfer, so you should smaller values until you start to see a result.

For these particular edges, I was able to apply a 0.1 bevel to them.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2030.4 In reply to 2030.1 
By the way those are excellent results after just pluging into things after an hour!

Yeah basically if you target the right kind of model to be done inside of MoI instead of in your poly modeler you can get a lot faster and cleaner results.

For things like characters, creatures, faces, stuff that has a lot of small, "high frequency" type details in it, those are the kinds of things that you want to do in the poly modeler.

For things that are more broadly curved and are defined a lot more by 2D profiles and cut out portions, those are things that will be handled more easily with NURBS - quite a lot of man-made type objects fall into this category.

It is pretty cool to have both kinds of tools at your disposal so that you can use the best one for any particular task at hand.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks for the replies.

TwinSnake: Wierd, i tried really small values for it but still no joy - are u using v1.0?

Michael: Thanks! I think it`s testament to the software that it can be picked up so quickly. Really useful for as u say man-made objects, but more specifically products, prototypes, cars, planes, mobile phones and things like that. Things that can be modelled more efficiently and fluently using nurbs as opposed to hand-sculpting polygons (no matter how good the poly-tools). I`ll maybe give the beta a bash given what you`ve said..
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2030.6 In reply to 2030.5 
Hi Spiffy,

> I`ll maybe give the beta a bash given what you`ve said..

Unfortunately there isn't any trial version of the beta, right now it is only available to v1 owners.

But once v2 is all wrapped up (still a while away, probably around the beginning of next year), then there will be a trial version available for that one as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I wanted to show an example of something that would help solve the fillet/chamfer boundary issue but then ran into one myself.

The basic premise is to build your own radius fillet or chamfer, and in a simplistic sense I was about to do this when I ran into a trim issue. Using a project curve to remove surface material, the results are odd where it won't completely trim the surfaces I want removed 'inside' the projected curve.

I didn't try this as a surface, considering instead a trim curve is cleaner methodology:

http://www.jasedesign.com
http://www.nurbsandpolys.com
http://www.cgpipeline.com

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2030.8 In reply to 2030.7 
Hi Jason,

I found in this situation it's not necessary to project the trimming curve, if you do your trimming just with the circle that you have there above the surfaces it will trim as expected.
Another thing here, you will get about 3 results in the following methods, if you pick the whole body and do a trim with that curve it will trim every surface in it's path, then there is where you can pick just the surfaces you want to trim (that's pick the solid then second pick to choose the surfaces) which will trim just those surfaces , but you will find that the hole is still connected to the trimmed surfaces so you'll have to separate that region, and lastly as you mentioned you can do it as individual surfaces by 'separate', do all your operations, trim, fillet etc then do a join at the end to form your solid.

My theory on why that projected curve won't do the trimming is if you turn on the control points on that curve you can see the number of points involved in making that curve so MoI has to do that extra calculating on all those points and can't handle it, as I said just my thought, I may be corrected.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2030.9 In reply to 2030.8 
ive seen that model before somewhere ;) good to see your posting and getting into moi mate
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2030.10 In reply to 2030.8 
Danny,

Unfortunately I was in the middle of trying to show an example of something but got stalled by the trim.

I can do this trimming in other apps, so I do want to note the issue here. This type of modeling isn't exactly out of the ordinary, however for a chamfer I do realize I was going extreme but like I said I was trying to go somewhere with it.. hehe.

Thanks for the reply.
- Jason
http://www.jasedesign.com http://www.nurbsandpolys.com http://www.cgpipeline.com
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Good responses here!

DD: Cheers ;) This model is getting pimped :D

Trying to follow what u guys are saying here..

So the best route for this is create the chamfered area detached and then rejoin to the main surface.. I think that can be a work around.

Been really busy, going to have a bash at this tomorrow evening.

Thanks for the input.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All