SolidWorks Data Translation
All  1-11  12-18

Previous
Next
2024.12 In reply to 2024.8 
>There are a few things you can do before you import that can help speed it up.

The first thing is go to Options / View / Meshing parameters, and switch the "Mesh angle" parameter to 20 and uncheck "Add detail to inflections".

Also thanks for Importing IGES Tips, Ill try that...

>You may get a faster import using STEP format instead which stores the edge connectivity information so that a full joining process does not have to happen.

Cool i did not know that... would you say STEP is a better format to export from solidworks to MoI? and if not witch one? could you elaborate a bit...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2024.13 In reply to 2024.10 
>It is currently not really finished up, it is in a "long term" beta release at the moment and is for import only.

Import only is good enough for me since SolidWorks supports .3dm

>It does not really sound like it is all ready to go right now, I do not really expect to have that available for v2 currently.

v3 is also good for me since it looks like I am gonna be here for some time...
Once again Thanks Michael for your support and your concrete answers.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2024.14 In reply to 2024.12 
Hi yannada,

> Cool i did not know that... would you say STEP is a better
> format to export from solidworks to MoI? and if not witch
> one? could you elaborate a bit...

It would take some testing to know whether it was actually better or not, I mean theory is not always the same as practice.

But the part that is good about STEP is that it should contain full solids in the file data instead of only surfaces.

By that I mean that the data in the STEP file records how surface edges are joined to other surface edges.

IGES files typically only contain individual surface data, and not any of the edge-to-edge join data. So that means that usually there has to be a joining process that a program has to do after importing IGES data to analyze the surfaces and figure out itself which things should be joined together in order to glue the surfaces into a solid.

That is actually a pretty complex procedure, so it can be good when it is possible to skip that particular step when that connection data is already present and does not need to be calculated, which should be the case typically for STEP data.

But you know, it is not very unusual for there to be some kind bugs or problems in one particular translator and not another, so it is not so easy to just say that one format is just universally always going to work better than another.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2024.15 In reply to 2024.13 
Hi Yannada, I talked to HarmonyWare a bit more about the SolidWorks translator.

He says it is not really production ready currently, there are still a few major issues to solve, and he does not currently have an exact timetable for when he will be able to fix those.

So I'm not even really sure it will be a v3 thing, but I guess it is a possibility.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2024.16 In reply to 2024.14 
thanks for valuable info.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2024.17 In reply to 2024.15 
fingers crossed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2024.18 In reply to 2024.14 
I use Solidworks every day at work and we rely alot on translations back and forth with vendors. All of the vendors we work with prefer .STP (step) over .Iges.....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-11  12-18