Fillet bug with latest V2 beta ?
All  1-10  11-13

Previous
Next
Michael

Thanks for the explaination. At least I know now some of the pitfalls of the fillet command so I've learned a lot from this thread.

I was kind of hoping this problem was something you could easily fix in the software (reason for my post) but its not sounding like it.
~Kevin~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2012.12 In reply to 2012.11 
Hi Kevin, yeah unfortunately fillet problems tend to be very difficult to fix.

The whole calculation of a fillet has quite a few different pieces in it, it involves calculating offsets of surfaces, intersections of surfaces, extensions, construction of fillet surfaces along rail paths...

Any single one of those is actually a pretty complicated operation, and fillet has layers of many of these parts.

In your particular original case, it looks like the part that is breaking down is the calculation of the intersection of the fillet with the side surfaces for that middle piece. The steps that Burr shows above cause those side pieces to be replaced by plane primitives, those can get some special case assistance in intersection calculations that seems to help out in this case.

It is good to have examples of things that don't work right, but for filleting most of the time I will be gathering them up and sending them over to the people who make the geometry library that I'm using so that they can examine them and try to tune things up. That will tend to be a rather long and drawn out procedure though.

In some cases I may be able to do something about it sooner than that, like Pilou posted one recently that I was able to fix up right then actually. But that will tend to be rather rare with fillet problems however.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
No problem Michael

In a lot of cases I can work around the issue by sweeping a surface to create the same effect, its just more work thats all.

While both you and Burr and some of the skilled MoI users have found and suggested workarounds (thanks), I think it is beyond the average user to figure this out for themselves leading to frustration.

Hopefully this thead will help them when they have filleting woes.
~Kevin~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-10  11-13