CPlane Question

Next
Hi Michael,

Will the CPlane be 'saveable' in the future and incorporated in the object organisation stuff ?

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1994.2 In reply to 1994.1 
Hi Danny,

> Will the CPlane be 'saveable' in the future

Actually it should already be saveable in the most basic sense - I mean if you set up a customized cplane and then save your .3dm file the custom cplane should be saved to the .3dm file and restored when you open it later.

> and incorporated in the object organisation stuff ?

I guess that is possible, I suppose you mean like the way solid modelers have a list of sketch planes as part of the feature list kind of thing?

As you know MoI is not really as formalized about requiring you to define a specific sketch plane as part of the basic definition of an object, so I'm not so sure about including cplanes in the objects list, the way MoI's structure works it is more like an optional drawing tool rather than actually a part of an object.

In the future I was thinking of having some kind of list of saved cplanes but probably associate it as an option under the CPlane tool rather than in the object list... But maybe the object list could work out, we'll see, it will probably be a while before I get to that part of CPlanes.

I'll try to post some more information and examples for how the cplanes work, but the basics are that you can align it to a surface by placing the origin point on a surface, align it to the tangent of a curve by picking the origin point on a curve, and you can align it to 3 points by placing the origin at the first point, then drag the x axis line to snap it to the second point (which will then lock that particular axis down), and then drag the y axis line to snap it to the 3rd point.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1994.3 In reply to 1994.2 
Hi Michael,

What I should of said was 'savable' or incorporated in the object organisation stuff ?

Saveable as in, once you've positioned a Cplane you hit the Cplane save button and it leaves like a ghost or witness triad so if you have to go back to that work plane you hit the Cplane command and just pick the ghost triad and it automatically orients it self to that saved position.

~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael

I really like the way you've implement the cplane in Moi.

It makes modelling so much easier having that option available.
~Kevin~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1994.5 In reply to 1994.3 
Hi Danny, that sounds like a good method to have pickable triads to go back to a saved construction plane. I was originally thinking about more of a named system where you could save a cplane as a named item and see it on a list and pick it there. I suppose a good way could be to do both, have it on a list or also pickable in the viewport at the same time when in the "Restore cplane" type mode.

I'm going to wait a while before trying to dig into this area, it is possible that a list of cplanes may fit in pretty well with the object organization toolset, as something that shows up in the browser tree view thing. It is probably a good idea to see how that turns out first before trying to incorporate a saved cplane list type thing.

There may be some good potential for it to just take one click to activate a saved cplane if it shows up in the browser window (by clicking on it in the browser list), rather than needing to go into a special restore type mode.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All