Tablet

Next
Hi ..
I have been using a mouse for years and years.
I understand that MoI is geared toward tablet use but do not have any experience with tablet vs mouse.
What reasons are there to convince me to change?
And what is the tablet that I should be looking for if I am convinced to try it?
thanks
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Eric,

I'm not sure if using MoI with a tablet will change your life. I know that MoI was designed with tablet users in mind, but except the Draw Curve / Sketch tool, I don't see any other tool that will require the precision from a gfx tablet.

Now talking about tablet precision, there is only one brand : -> Wacom.
They might look quite expensive compared to others (if they are any :P), but the technology and the construction quality are really great.

I can only talk about the intuos serie, I have used every models from that familly, and every format. I personnaly will suggest an A5 (wide) one, it's a good balance between size/cost. The main difference with the Bamboo serie is the pressure sensitive quality, the Intuos give much more levels of pressure, and that's really handy with painting/sculpting software.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1983.3 In reply to 1983.1 
Hi Eric - MoI is set up in such a way that it can be driven with simple clicks on things and doesn't require touching the keyboard to do stuff. That is what makes it friendly for using on a tablet but those same things have also made it friendly to use on a mouse as well, it is not really like there is something extra that you gain if you use a tablet.

Most people who like tablets are artists who have a background doing a lot of traditional style drawing on a sheet of paper with a pen or pencil.

If you have spent a lot of time using a pencil, trying to draw with a mouse can feel pretty awkward and unfamiliar. Those people really like to use a pen tablet because it gives a much more familiar feel for just overall manipulation.

If you have already spent all your time working with a mouse, then it is likely that a tablet would actually feel weird to you since it is different than what you are used to.

But if you have done a lot of drawing with a pencil you may be interested in it.

> And what is the tablet that I should be looking for if I am convinced to try it?

Any of the Wacom ones are good.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1983.4 In reply to 1983.3 
I don't completely agree with the fact that mouse users will have an unfamiliar feeling when using a tablet. I mean just try to write your name in paintbrush with your mouse, that's pretty strange.

There are many 3D software that take advantage from a tablet, whatever you're an artist or not. Poly modeling for example will give you great benefit, from lasso selection to vertex pushing manipulation. More over with scuplting tool like in Silo, Modo. Without talking about Zbrush and Co where using a mouse is just impossible if you want to do serious work in. A little transition time is needed (especially because of the double click and menu navigation in general) , but at the end you will no use your mouse anymore ... well at least that's what appends for me :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1983.5 In reply to 1983.4 
Hi PaQ - definitely if you're using more kind of "painting" type software that uses more brush stroke motions it is much more natural for that.

But just regular mouse pointer manipulation like clicking on buttons tends to be weird for a while at least if you have spent a long long time using a mouse instead only.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1983.6 In reply to 1983.5 
Hi Eric,
Some say "OHYEAH!!!" and some say "Yeachhhhh!!!!"

I would suggest finding one somewhere at you local computer store or something and try it. They arent cheap so the effort to track one down first is a good investment. (Unless you can afford a $400 Yeachhh!)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Don't miss to try Artrage with a tablet!
That is Zen paintintg for sure! Even with the free version!
http://www.ambientdesign.com/
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks everyone ...

I have not drawn with a pencil for a very long time ... as soon as CAD became available for small architectural offices I jumped into it. I have been using a mouse ever since and it sounds like I should just stay with it ... I do find MoI easy to use with a mouse ... my hand knows what to do and would be awkward with a pencil now.

cheers
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All