Sketchup SKP export
 1-8  …  49-68  69-88  89-90

Previous
Next
1978.89 In reply to 1978.88 
Hi Michael,

Yes I do see the short edges get rendered when I zoom in but it makes the render look quite 'bitty' especially when you animate some sketchup scenes as detail appears and disappears.

There is a 'dropout length' specified for these sketchy styles when you build a style in Stylebuilder that is suposed to govern whether an attempt is made to render the edges or not. Also you can define a set of strokes 16px, 32px etc for the style. I'm going to try and create a custom style to see if it will render the smaller edges better without having to worry about them being polylines or having to weld them together.

I undestand the difficulty with duplicate polylines also. Maybe its worth a test if it doesn't take much effort and include it as an option - but as you've said, how do you decide which edges to chain together on export!

I haven't contacted the sketchup engineers yet - their front door isn't obvious to find, despite it being Google! Also, I don't expect I'll get the kind of service that you give. Very personable, very quick and very good! This isn't an MOI problem its a problem with how Sketchup handles imported meshes/geometry when rendering with these type of styles.

I'll keep trying a few things and update you if I have any luck. I do like that sketchy render look for concept stuff and artwork and haven't been that satisfied with C4D's Sketch and Toon or Rhino's Penguin. I'm going to look at Brazil for Rhino also as that has a toon feature. Perhaps you could include a sketchy renderer in MOI 3 then I wouldn't have to leave the confines of MOI ... now that would be great!

Anyway, once again thanks for you help, much appreciated!

Simon
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
1978.90 In reply to 1978.89 
Hi Simon, I am definitely interested in doing a sketch style render directly in MoI in the future sometime, that kind of a style is a fun way to present your model!

But it will probably be a fair ways out before I'll be able to focus time on that area. It is really hard at this point to guess at a timeline for it.

> Maybe its worth a test if it doesn't take much effort and
> include it as an option - but as you've said, how do you decide
> which edges to chain together on export!

Could you please post a sample simple .3dm file of something that you wish worked better?

That would let me try doing some tests and let me send back the experimental .skp to you to see if it does what you need better.

It may be possible for me to do something like emit one extra polyline for every edge in the MoI model which may do what you need, or at least get closer. I did a very quick initial test of it and it seems to be better for sketchy styles, but it will probably have to be an optional thing that you enable because it looks like some of the extra polylines created in this way can kind of remain stuck in their original positions when you try to do certain push/pulls of the model. But it does not seem to cause duplicate rendering issues so much which I thought would be a bad problem.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-8  …  29-48  49-68  69-88  89-90