Care Tyre Test
 1-20  21-37

Next
Hi all,

I am using all the software for my hobby. 2D & 3D. I love Moi because of the nurbs (nurb power hihihi)

This is a test i was doing for a Car tyre (i love the view image, to insert and use the line freeform to create the profile then revolve).

Example until i get a better refine look.

Another thing I have Cinema 4D R8.2 and I use Carrara, Carrara import the obj file much better then Cinema 4D, Carrara is Version 6 Pro.

EDITED: 8 Dec 2009 by SPACELAND

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1971.2 In reply to 1971.1 
Hey Cold,
Nice draft! I 3was also working a tire idea and stopped at the rim with other work. Would love to follow along your progress and see what and how you do it

Good luck,
Burr

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1971.3 In reply to 1971.2 
Nice one BurrMan,

Very good details on yours, i like it.

I am still fideling with Moi stuff, so much fun. I am using a lot of reference for creating it, except my test for the thread.

I will do the wheel and do the brakes after it.

Yep i am still taking not and start to do a tutorial on it.

Later.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1971.4 In reply to 1971.3 
One of my regrets on this is I jumped through the initial creation process to fast and produced some results that at this point are more apparent, but to change them I would have to start over again. ( the nothches in my center treads are out of proportion... Too big!)

It prompted me to load the "Incremental Save" script and start a folder, file management process for my MoI creation so I can go back a little easier.

Talk later,
Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi again,

First i use a reference image "View, Image and i add the one in the picture shown"

I like this one because i got a good reference for a tire profile and the Rim that will go with it (love the way Moi deal with image where i can move it anywhere).

I use the Draw curve freeform. Depending on the detail or accuracy i go with Throught Points or Sketch. Click on Show pts to set the freeform to fit the profile and add/delete points in the process.

I now do a revolve and see how it looks. But somewhere around a small part at the bottom right, i will Trim the curve and keep everything so i can use the Contruct, Curve, project, that will do it on 1 x part of the object and not on all available face in the view. (except maybe at the bottom but that one can be deleted). I do this for the thread. Draw my own or use another image for reference.

Again for the Thread i use the Draw Curve, freeform (throught points or sketch) and the Line, Polyline. (again using the mirror and anything available to get the result wanted).

The problem i got when i do the projection and use the extrude, i dont get both side caps, i think it might be because of the curves, i have to do network to close them.

I think it is better to create the overall pieces then use the boolean operation to make the dent or break in the form.

Final look then back to the drawing board for my technic.

Carrara Render

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1971.6 In reply to 1971.5 
Whoa....Niiicce!

Care to share that profile image you use?

Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1971.7 In reply to 1971.6 
Hi BurrMan,

You want the image with the profile of the tire & the rim?

If you want for thread it's my own design base on models you can have on cg-cars.com or others.

Thanks

I will make it available when i home tonight (Tire/Rim profile image)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1971.8 In reply to 1971.7 
Yeah that tire profile and rim you started with is nice. I would be most grateful.

Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1971.9 In reply to 1971.8 
Hey Burrman,

there it is.

One thing, i am very curious the method you use for the thread?

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1971.10 In reply to 1971.9 
>>One thing, i am very curious the method you use for the thread?

Strikingly and eerily the same as you! Except the way you lay yours out prior to an array seems more proper. Were you taught this as a technique or did you just figure it out? I did mine with individual components and a pure array. in ther words more of a fudge. mine would have not been good in a production environment and I need to create a technique thats easily replicatable for future projects. The low level thing is just a hair puller with unpredictable results. And as michael has stated, and I have prooved here, doing it this way means way down the road you may be stuck with no options to get a good result, and the only thing left is to start over from scratch! Not a great thinking process on display! But that's ok, I'm not proud!

As michael puts it, "A low level approach". I'm trying to change this behavior as it makes life difficult and modeling the simplist things are difficult, not to mention the sheer weight of my rubber max's out my normal computer and I have to switch to a more modern setup to continue.

I follow along in here and watch and learn many things. Most in here would Model a large rubber then boolean out the tread. probably a very light object created. The rubber you see there is a 15 mb file. Imagine rim, stem, stem cap, rim center detail....etc, etc.... Just one wheel would be a 50 meg file! What about the rest of the car? Ha!

Anyway, I'll post back maybe when I have both type versions.
Burr

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1971.11 In reply to 1971.10 
To expound just a bit more on my tread.

Those are just 2d layouts. then I extrude them to a greater thickness than my tread. then from a side view, I create a circlethe size of the tire and offset it the depth of the tread. This give me 2 cutting curves to cut my square tread to be the shape of the round tire. The thing missing from the tire pic would be to fillet the tread. Too heavy for my old computer though. Still drooling for my "dual quad core 30 inch display bad boy". (I'll be sure to brag in this forum when I get it! Ha!)

Anyway, I suppose thats it.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1971.12 In reply to 1971.11 
Just my little rough attempts at the ideas. Not perfect!

Thanks for the learning.

Brian

EDITED: 31 Dec 2008 by BWTR

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1971.13 In reply to 1971.10 
Hi BurrMan,

Since this is a hobby i don't but too much time, more i put the time i can. I have browse a lot of web site/tutorial about how to do a car tire. But since i am a guy that love learning and doing ok the first time (yeah i am that anxious sometime) but i found that a lot of modeler use one technic and another. i am trying from there view to create my own.

So that is why i like that reference picture, because i get the shape of the tire and the rim. From there you can create a line that will fit the profile and if you want more detail to, you add more points to control the shape.

http://www.cg-cars.com/
http://www.onnovanbraam.com/index.php?tutorials/making_a_complete_tyre/
http://www.3dnuts.com/tutorials/modeling_tire.shtml
http://www.webdesign.org/web/3d-graphics/tutorials/polygon-modeling-car-rims.8635.html
http://www.tutcity.com/tutorial/spline-car-modeling.444.html

or maybe better with Rhino (nurbs)
http://www.toxiclab.org/tutorial.asp?ID=122

Maybe that will help you there are alot on the web from multiple tutorial. i even base my research from all the other software to see what i can apply for myself.

As for the Tire rubber, tire itself i am ok, my problem his more with threading of the tire.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hey Michael,

Don't remember it if was ask, but is there a possibility to have something similar to other 3D packaging.

To have a control of a group when we do an array, so when we change the original object all the others will change because they are children of the parent object.

And something similar for the mirror, where we can mirror an object and still be able to modify the original object and have the mirror apply the modification done.

Hope you understand.

Cold.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1971.15 In reply to 1971.14 
Hi Cold - yes I do expect to add more history functionality to allow some more kinds of edits and updating like you're asking about.

For mirror that is actually working currently in certain circumstances, like if you mirror a curve you can then edit the curve's control points and the mirrored copy will update automatically.

But it won't work if you do some other operations to the original object such as trims or booleans. That is something that I do want to improve in the future though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1971.16 In reply to 1971.13 
>> But since i am a guy that love learning and doing ok the first time (yeah i am that anxious sometime) but i found that a lot of modeler use one technic and another. i am trying from there view to create my own.

Cold,

This is exactly what I get from this forum! Web tutorials are usually too specific for me to either a program or a technique, Then at the begining of the tute, I am lost because of something i didnt understand. In this forum, I follow along and see "The process" not "The Event", and I actually learn the underlying concept!

Even you here now, have helped me with my tire model!

Thanks,
Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1971.17 In reply to 1971.16 
I did try another way.

I extrude my thread pieces, move them where are my 2 curves for my tire, create the revolve for the tire then use it to boolean-diff and then ajusted the pieces (that got the curve of the tire correctly). The move made the bottom part of the thread not to show inside the tire. But one thing i think to really make the thread would be model a degree of the tire then to the array.

Anyway doing some test render in Carrara and will show them later on.

To Michael -> Thank you, that will become very indy.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1971.18 In reply to 1971.17 
And, I was trying this and,------ probably answered on a nother thread but----

I projected my shapes onto my "tyre" and extruded but can not seem to resolve a way to get closed ends?

What have I forgotten?

Brian

EDITED: 31 Dec 2008 by BWTR

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1971.19 In reply to 1971.18 
Hi Brian, if you extrude a non-planar curve MoI won't know how to cap it automatically.

But if you extrude a surface, it will know how to cap it because it can copy the surface to do that.

So in the case you show there, I would recommend using Edit/Trim to cut the surface using those outline curves. Then you will have some small surface fragments - select those surface fragments and extrude those, rather than extruding the curve outlines only. That should produce the capped result like you want.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1971.20 In reply to 1971.19 
Thanks Michael.