Dual choice GUI?

Next
Having shaken off the high-tec shackles of Rhino 3D, I am currently enjoying a renaissance in my 3D Modelling made possible by the refreshing ease of use and increased productivity offered by MOI’s uncluttered interface.

I was unashamedly attracted to MOI as a package created specifically for non-technical artists and designers, and as it stands today, it does precisely what is says on the box.
But as I read the daily avalanche of, admittedly very clever and well thought out suggestions, I begin to suspect that MOI will go the way of most other CAD application and become the domain of the technical super-competent. In other words, MOI could become just another Rhino clone.

Of course MOI must grow and develop, after all this is Michael’s dream and livelihood, and by necessity has to generate an good revenue stream for him through a measured upgrade path.

But is there a third way, one that will satisfy and retain the quick-and dirty modelers amongst us as well as those requiring industrial strength 3D tools?
I think there may be.
Instead of cramming more features into the standard MOI interface, introduce a choice of GUI, one to suit each requirement. A choice of simple and advanced interfaces that can be switched with the press of the pen tablet. This way we can have our cake and eat it and satisfy all our needs and wants.

There is an old truism that predicts , “ What you resist you become”.
I suggest that unless we pause for breath in our enthusiasm and resist the current pressures , MOI could become Rhino by another name.

It is my long held belief that we must covet and strive for two of life’s most beautiful virtues, already core to Michael’s ground breaking product - elegance and simplicity.

So let's not lose sight of what we have and are at risk of diminishing.

Below are two screen snags the gas block and flash eliminator for a simple rifle model that I created in less than 30 minutes with MOI. The render was made in Bryce 6.0.

Ray
Image Attachments:
Size: 89.2 KB, Downloaded: 121 times, Dimensions: 800x444px
Size: 45 KB, Downloaded: 115 times, Dimensions: 800x455px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
What's funny is I used to hate MOI always being compared to Rhino or seeing that there was hardly ever a sentence that had "MOI" in it that didn't somewhere a few words later also include "Rhino".

But then I realized that Michael is the creator of both programs, so it would be pretty much impossible to shun one of his children in preference of the other!

I can see perhaps a MOI "Pro" edition but I'm not sure about multiple GUIs.

In the past I've felt that Michael worried about the GUI too much; not putting in say a particular (good!) function because he didn't know where to best put any associated support GUI or didn't want to take up space in a certain area.

But I implicitly trust Michael's vision and direction for MOI, and I haven't been disappointed yet! :-)

Like with the object organization being worked on now - I fully expect when it is released to be unique, powerful and BUG FREE as it is with all of Michael's wares!

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1965.3 In reply to 1965.2 
I like the default moi UI but, in my case, I prefer to use some Alternative UI done by other users in this forum. The power of moi is that you can arrange the UI in the way you like. That's not possible in other program (I never use Rhino because I don't like the interface, I cannot explain why but I hate it).
So standing ovation for Michael's UI because it's so flexible and can fit all the need!

Luca
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1965.4 In reply to 1965.3 
I like software that is easy to learn, but also software that I can grow into as I become more experienced.

A dual GUI may be the way to go, like a mode that only exposes the advanced features when requested. Or maybe a MoI "Lite" version for the artists and a full-featured version for those who need more.

Software packages always need to evolve; otherwise they die as competitors fill the need and take over. The trick that Michael has managed to handle well so far is keeping the goals and intended user in mind while incorporating new features.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1965.5 In reply to 1965.1 
Hi Ray, I'm glad that you are enjoying MoI's interface!

I have heard from a lot of people who are worried that MoI will lose its simplicity and ease of use as new things are added.

But don't worry - keeping MoI streamlined and easy to use is very high on my list of priorities.

Actually MoI's UI was initially designed to expand in a natural way to offer more tools.

These will take the form of new sets of tabs on the side pane, similar to the existing tabs like "Draw curve", "Construct", "Transform", etc... - the main difference will be that those new tabs will be collapsed by default, so they should not clutter up the screen very much or really add much complexity to the overall UI until you want to expand them to get at the additional tools that are inside of them.

The problem with having a big "advanced UI" switch like you were mentioning earlier, is that advanced users can also benefit from having a quick and streamlined UI as well, having the most frequently used tools for modeling be very easily available and easy to understand actually helps advanced users quite a bit too!

The good thing about MoI's UI is that this expansion was designed in at the ground level - the original UI prototypes that I used for designing MoI's UI contained a much larger number of tools than are currently in MoI. That's one reason why it took me a long time to work on the UI initially, it was probably like a year's worth of effort just on that part of MoI's design by itself. But the payoff is a system that has expansion designed in from the beginning so it will not just suddenly get overloaded when I need to add stuff.

Another factor is I really resist adding new UI stuff when it is at all possible - I try as much as I can to add more power to the existing tools rather than adding brand new UI in. You can see this policy working well in v2 - all the new functions added so far in v2 only brought one single new checkbox to the top-level UI, under the View tools.

This "increase existing UI power" policy along with the built in expandability should deal very well with the problems that you are worried about I think!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thank you for your comprehensive and most reassuring response Michael. I look forward to purchasing the finished version 2.0

To close this thread I feel it might help to show other forum users the sort of 'Quick and Dirty' modeling that artists like me use applications such as MOI and Sketchup for.

In the attached images I have included six pictures that should be considered as pairs.
All are work from 3D comic books that I have worked on. The action figures in scenes are from Daz 3D and the final images were textured and rendered in Daz Studio. Post work was completed using Xara Xtreme rather than Photoshop, again chosen for it's brilliant interface and rapid workflow.

Each of these scenes required props that were unavailable elsewhere: A particular flight of steps: the rear ramp of a C-130 Transport aircraft including drogue chute etc, and spent shell cases.

As non of the models needed to be particulary detailed or even to scale, I required a 3D application that would assist me in creating the props quickly with minimum effort.

I am in no doubt that there are many artists out there looking for a robust, well priced 3D modeler that is quick to master and encourages rapid work flow.
This is why I expressed my original concerns, as an overly packed interface can be an instant turn off for the non-technical amongst us.

Thank you again for your ground-breaking approach to this new generation of 3D tools.

Ray
Image Attachments:
Size: 88.2 KB, Downloaded: 59 times, Dimensions: 900x483px
Size: 79 KB, Downloaded: 47 times, Dimensions: 900x860px
Size: 87.9 KB, Downloaded: 47 times, Dimensions: 750x658px
Size: 38 KB, Downloaded: 22 times, Dimensions: 750x556px
Size: 63.3 KB, Downloaded: 27 times, Dimensions: 800x658px
Size: 88.2 KB, Downloaded: 47 times, Dimensions: 754x512px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1965.7 In reply to 1965.6 
Absolutely wonderful work!

I've at times considered doing 3d comics but was never brave enough to take the time and attempt to come up with humorous stories worthy of something like this.

I have a bunch of books on cartooning and your work is certainly inspiring!

The great thing about MOI is it lets you build your set pieces so fast and easy!

BRAVO!

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1965.8 In reply to 1965.7 
>> I've at times considered doing 3d comics but was never brave enough to take the time and attempt to come up with humorous stories worthy of something like this.<<

Thanks for the compliments Will, but you really should get your own feet wet as soon as possible.

Get over to Daz 3D at: http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d_models/0?_m=d
and download their free Daz Studio software and free intro pack - then get used to posing figures in 3D. Try adding ordinary photos - from the web or take them youself to use as backgrounds.

After getting familar with Daz Studio move on to Comic Book Creator at: http://www.myplanetwide.com/products/detail/description.html?id=41
and begin importing your renders into ready-made frames. You can even add your own captions etc.

Daz offer an incredible range of figures, clothes and props. What you can't find, simply model your own in MOI. Daz studio makes it easy to add textures to your exported .obj models.

Here are few pages from some of my comics that may offer further encouragement.
Just enjoy yourself, beginning with the simplist of stories, like the The Day The Swan Dropped in Below, where I used photos of my own back yard with a Daz 3D swan.

Good Luck

Ray

Cheshire
England
Image Attachments:
Size: 257 KB, Downloaded: 19 times, Dimensions: 800x1124px
Size: 231.7 KB, Downloaded: 12 times, Dimensions: 1000x1294px
Size: 121 KB, Downloaded: 13 times, Dimensions: 809x655px
Size: 224.9 KB, Downloaded: 15 times, Dimensions: 800x1026px
Size: 238.4 KB, Downloaded: 18 times, Dimensions: 900x1165px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1965.9 In reply to 1965.8 
Hi Ray, thanks for the nudge to get me going with something like this - again, I've fancied doing this kinda stuff, just never attempted trying to complete a panel or two...

Thanks for the pointer to Comic Book Creator, never heard of that product before, I'll take a gander to see what it can do.

My 2D work is usually covered by Anime Studio Pro (formerly called Moho 5).

As far as character work, I do have Poser 7 and now Quidam Studio. I have played with Daz Studio in the past, and I like their posing controls over Poser's bit better.

The one thing your post has me thinking of doing is to panel up some of the cutscene video sequences of the game I'm working on.

This would let me use the resultant images from that as perhaps some "back story" material for a book that would be included with the game...

Anyway, thanks for showing your work, very inspirational!

-Will

PS - A program that I've been using for working on stories and creating storyboards is Celtx (and you just can't beat the price!):
http://celtx.com/overview.html

EDITED: 16 Sep 2008 by WILLBELLJR

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1965.10 In reply to 1965.9 
you have also Manga Studio Debut 49$ but you can find less ;)
http://my.smithmicro.com/win/manga/index.html
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All