Making swept helixes

Next
MOI is a fantastic tool. I have been using Pro/E for 11 years and I must say that the ease of use with MOI is very refreshing.

I am trying to make a helix that is swept through a space curve. Would like to model the spring on this faucet. I can do it by piecing together little sections at a time. Is there a better way?

Thanks,

ghan

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1960.2 In reply to 1960.1 
Hi ghan, there is a plug-in available here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1519.12

which allows for creation of a helix that is following a circular path, but there isn't currently any tool that will create a helix following a generic space curve.

Rhino does have a tool for doing that, so it is easier to create that particular helix curve in Rhino and then bring that curve into MoI.

If you would like to post your path curve that the helix should go around, I could create it for you in Rhino and send it back to you if that would help.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Michael,

Thanks. I just made little sections of the spring and copy/rotated them around. It worked just fine and did not take that long.

Great software.

Thanks,

ghan

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1960.4 In reply to 1960.2 
But I guess it is possible with Solid++. I remember seeing something exciting on their old website - helix around curve even with scaling rail option! (it means the helix diameter, not diameter of "wire", altered smoothly). We want it :) -Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1960.5 In reply to 1960.4 
Hi Petr, yup there are actually several things that are technically possible but that I have not had a chance yet to create UIs for...

Unfortunately the UI design can tend to be the most difficult part, just having the engine part work is not really the whole thing, although it certainly can help!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All