Smoothing where curves join?

Next
I've created a freeform curve which I then want to mirror to get it symetrical. however where the 2 curves meet I'd like them to be curved too. Is there a way to do this?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1938.2 In reply to 1938.1 
Hi gizmo,

Without a picture or 3dm file I'm assuming you mean after you mirror your curve they are not tangent and there is a 'kink' in the center, like in the picture below.

If this is the case then pick both curves (or if joined 1 curve) and turn on the control points by the command [Edit > Show pts]
You then align the 3 points that are highlighted in the picture by the command [Transform > Align > Horiz center]
those 3 points will then be in line and you can move that part of the curve up and down for a desired shape, once placed in position that curve is now tangent or 'smooth'.

Usually when drawing the freeform curve that you want to mirror and to be tangent or 'smooth' draw the last 2 control points in line, in that way when you mirror the curve you won't
end up with a 'kink' at the join of the 2 curves.

By the way this method is the V1 method the V2 method you can use the Object Frame to 'Flatten' those 3 points in line.

Hope this helps
Cheers
~Danny~

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1938.3 In reply to 1938.2 
Thats brilliant, thanks Danny.

So far I'm really enjoying this program. I'm looking to use it as a quick and dirty way of creating difficult geometry that will be rendered in other 3d apps. I see this as a good way of integrating Nurbs into my subd workflow.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1938.4 In reply to 1938.1 
Hi Gizmo

Dannys method is great especially with planar geometry.

Another option is to sketch the curve stopping short of the mirror line then join the two ends with a blend curve, this gives G1 & G2 control if smoothness is key ;-). Blend also works well with curves that bend around in 3d space...so no point tweaking necessary.

Njoy !

Rgds,
--Paul--

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1938.5 In reply to 1938.3 
Hi gizmo,

That's great that you sorted that out.

> I'm looking to use it as a quick and dirty way of creating difficult geometry that will be rendered in other 3d apps.

Yeah, most of us are using it for that and there are a few people using it for work as well, but it's more like a quick and 'clean'
way of creating difficult geometry because the geometry is just as good as any other cad package.

Hi Paul,
Using the blend method is a top one too, I always forget that one and the funny thing is that I use it at work all the time but it's called bridge curve.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1938.6 In reply to 1938.5 
>...the geometry is just as good as any other cad package.<

So, true. MOI is an easier, faster workflow tool for some parts of archviz but can have a bunch more polys even after carefully setting the mesh before exporting.

Leonard
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All