Object Edit Frame query
All  1-11  12-14

Previous
Next
1930.12 In reply to 1930.11 
Hi Michael,

On a related note, I was having problems the other day trying to get the >Center< snap to activate for something I was working on...

I forget exactly what I was doing and what kind of object it was (curve, solid) but no matter what I did, I couldn't get a center snap in the middle of it when it was selected.

I seem to remember I was working at the "top" of say a Cylinder or an enlongated cube (think roof of a high-rise building) - I think I had the curve outline of the solid selected and I was trying to either scale or position something else in relation to that center point but I couldn't obtain a center snap of that selection??

However more recently, I've been seeing the center snap display on solids and other closed surfaces without problems (figgas being that I didn't need it now!)

I'm wondering is there any difference with that snap when using curves over solids? (I seem to remember that being the situation while I was working.)

And yes, I had definitely checked to make sure that snap was enabled!

I'll see if I can repro what I was doing and solidify the details but I believe it was a curve (assuming planar, possibly not) that I was attempting to get that center snap on.

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1930.13 In reply to 1930.12 
Hi Will, the way that center snap works is it will find the center of a few particular kinds of objects, not necessarily the center of just an irregular solid.

It will find the center point on circle, circular arc, or ellipse curves (or edge curves), and also on polyline curves like a square or rectangle.

It will also find a center point on a face that has trim curves made up all of lines, like a face of a box.

My guess is that your shape did not have anything that fell into these categories, but it is tough for me to say for certain without seeing the actual model file.

I would like to add some functions to create a point at the centroid of a solid's mass, or at the center of its bounding box, but probably not as a full regular osnap because it would add a kind of strange snap off in the middle of space for most cases...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1930.14 In reply to 1930.13 
Thanks, as I mentioned, if I run into it again, I'll have more concrete evidence for you...

I believe it was simply an enlongated cube - a building as I had mentioned.

I remember using the ortho views trying to snap all the way at the top of the building but I couldn't get the center (dbl-clicked the top edge to get the curve) and then trying it from perspective it would only snap all the way back down on the ground plane...

Anyway, I'll keep an eye out. ;-)

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-11  12-14