Obj crashes Wings

Next
I'm trying to load an Obj file into Wings 3D for texturing and it does not seem to be compatible. I have to open it in Silo first then export again to get Wings to read it. Anyone run into this?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1918.2 In reply to 1918.1 
Hi lee, Wings may have some difficulty handling n-gons, when you export from MoI try setting the option for "Quads & Triangles" instead.

Also try unchecking the "Weld vertices along edges" which you can see if you expand the meshing options dialog by the arrow in the lower left corner.

It also might be a good idea to send the OBJ file to the Wings programmers so they could take a look at it and see what Wings does not like about it, with Wings crashing it seems likely to be a bug in Wings.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1918.3 In reply to 1918.2 
It will not open an obj file from MoI, n-gons or not.. Strange. Works fine after passing through Silo with no changes to the mesh. 3ds export loads fine. I will try to send a file to the Wings programmers, thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1918.4 In reply to 1918.3 
Hmmm... MoI does write smoothing group information to the OBJ file which probably Silo does not write.

Maybe Wings is not handling that smoothing group data well.

Those are lines in the .obj file that start with s, like:

s 1

Does Wings crash on you even with a very simple file like one box?

If so then we can probably figure out what thing Wings does not like by comparing the OBJ file from MoI with the OBJ exported from Silo to see what is different.

If you could post those 2 OBJ files here I could take a look at them to try and figure out what part Wings does not like.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1918.5 In reply to 1918.4 
I got it to work by changing the first 2 lines:

g object1
o object1

>>

mtllib objfilename.mtl
o objfilename.obj

You could explain this better than me... but it looks like Wings needs some sort of reference to a material library.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1918.6 In reply to 1918.5 
Hi lee - that material library thing is an optional thing that can be specified inside of an OBJ file, definitely a program is not supposed to crash if it is missing...

If you can include that information (and maybe both sample files, the one that works and the one that does not) when you send the Wings developer a bug report, it would probably help them.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All