Reefing a Sail
 1-8  9-28  29-33

Previous
Next
1916.9 In reply to 1916.8 
I'll chime in here with half baked input!

I think you would want to make the model in moi more like michaels, a formed solid, as doing the folding in Moi would not export out very well for texturing (I'm open to being wrong here!)

Then doing the folds with displacment in the render package.

From Moi

Using displacement to get the folding.

I could have spent more time here to get a better looking fold, and possibly added a helix in moi to use as rope to hide the pinched parts.
Also, I beleive brian is an accomplished carrara user and may be able to do this better.

I used the water-waves displacement.

Burr

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.10 In reply to 1916.9 
So the point is it's not "actually" an all folded over model, just appears that way in the render. Then you could add another small peice like Paolo's example hanging out of the bottom to add that seperation effect
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.11 In reply to 1916.10 
Burr
Thanks, but I don't really think your example or Michaels, fully tie in with the actuality of real reefed sails. I fiddled around a bit yesterday also with the displacement painting idea and it is a bit hair raising---not ideal I suggest.

It really is difficult to get them as the real thing. Also, when doing the exercises, there are shapes one is limited to before MoI makes crazy decissions. My examples were each after many experiments.

Any further ideas very welcome though.

I intend to work on the first one, like the photo, a bit more today. If you note the final example last night of the roller reef exercise you will see I was getting a bit of character into the sail.

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.12 In reply to 1916.11 
Maybe this is getting close?
Still needs more thought--later today!
Brian

EDITED: 31 Dec 2008 by BWTR

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.13 In reply to 1916.12 
I don't seem to be able to create an effective "Scaling Rail" that will give the pinched in effect I need in this other dimension.
Welcome help.
Brian

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.14 In reply to 1916.13 
Hi Brian - try turning off the checkbox for "Maintain Height".

That's an option when using the scaling rail, and if it is enabled the sweep will stretch only in one direction to match the scaling rail.

If you uncheck it, the sweep will scale in all directions to match the scaling rail which should then do what you want.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.15 In reply to 1916.14 
Thanks Michael.
I thought I had clicked on/off everything I could thinks of!

Anyway, think I am expecting a lot to need to better this.

Thanks, Brian

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.16 In reply to 1916.15 
I suppose you had a vision of what you want. I was going off of the picture posted.

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.17 In reply to 1916.16 
I thought I was also!

Maybe having owned a sailing yacht, and been involved with sailing for many decades, I have a different vision?

Great learning of MoI for me.
Thanks for being involved.

Brian

ps This was the sail shape I had in mind.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.18 In reply to 1916.17 
I live in Hawaii. Your picture looks like the "Falls of Clyde" A famous sailing boat that is docked here as a museum. Same type of boat.

Have you seen gilligans Island too?

Good luck,
Burr

EDITED: 28 Aug 2008 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.19 In reply to 1916.18 
Burr
No. Now you have given me MORE things to research!

Here is a version done in Modo with polys.
The author is not very happy with the result and is thinking of reinstalling Amapi or--maybe--being a customer fro MoI!
Brian

ps. Do you know the history of the boat in the original photo and where it is?---Try Maine I think?

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.20 In reply to 1916.19 
Ha! As a Mainer I have to say, surely not Maine with a palm tree in the back! We wish! There are a lot of schooners in Camden, Maine, where I'm from, though.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.21 In reply to 1916.20 
Thats a GREAT sail. I would have thought that was a picture. I dont know the boat in the original picture you posted. If I get some time today I'll go down to the docks and take pictures of the falls of clyde for you, Try to get some good angles for you to ponder. (Just something for me to do with the kids) May be able to better see the shortcomings of the displacement.
Anyway, Lookin good billy ray! (Feelin good lewis.)

Burr

It say's Berkeley on the building behind the boat. Any Idea's where that may be? There is one in Ca. but not sure if there is one on the east coast or not.

[EDIT] Seems theres at least one Berkeley Island, New Jersey![EDIT]

EDITED: 28 Aug 2008 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.22 In reply to 1916.20 
My wires crossed?
It's obviously not the Bowdoin at the Maine Maritime Academy at Castine, Maine that I had guessed at!

And waiting for the photos Burr.

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.23 In reply to 1916.22 
Brian
Charged up my camera and drove down with the kids for a museum day and.... It's either closed or under construction. The Falls of Clyde Is stripped and looks like a junk. Not a sail or wire or wheel or anything.

Oh well, I have nothing real to refer to now, I must defer! :)

Also, I just googled some pictures of it as it was while it was here and there were NO reefed sails. (One small one on the bow, Is that called a spinnaker?) Funny, I remembered all those Masts covered with reefed sails and them doing diving shows from the top!. Must have been a trip to disneyland im confused about. :)

Talk to you later.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.24 In reply to 1916.23 
Thanks for the thought. Sounds like an interesting ship. Lets know if you get more images later.
Delete from your post the idea that that small sail at the bow may be a spinnaker---oh dear, these uneducated land lubbers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinnaker

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.25 In reply to 1916.24 
Hah, Well obviously not a spinnaker! :)

It was one of the older kind of ships that had a big "Pointed pole" sticking out in front of it with a lady flying underneith. The sail was on this pole with the hypotnuse attached and the pointy end on a wire to be pulled up. What would this one be?

Ps. I'll usually leave my less than desirable post intact to remind me to keep in check with others and not shoot off to much. These may be here for years and when my son grows up he'll say..."Dad.... A SPINNAKER? Ha ha ha!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.26 In reply to 1916.25 
Quote------"It was one of the older kind of ships that had a big "Pointed pole" sticking out in front of it with a lady flying underneith. The sail was on this pole with the hypotnuse attached and the pointy end on a wire to be pulled up. What would this one be?"

Now I think you are having a dig at me? I will blame you if I wake up with bruises from my wife digging me in the ribs because I keep disturbing her sleep because I keep waking up laughing .

Brian
attach for the uninitiated.

ps--Burr, I hope you don't think I was being rude--It's hard to realise that others may not have the same background of sailing.
Here is how a sailor may have read that sentence--

"It was one of the older kind of ships that had a big bowsprit sticking out from the bow with a figure-head flying underneath. The sail was on this (jib-boom?—separate from the bowsprit?) –with the fore-stay attached and the sail-head on a wire halyard ready to be pulled up"

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.27 In reply to 1916.26 
LOL!!!!

That was a great answer. And I'm not having a "Jib" at you!

Brian, you are a far more experienced Sailor than I for sure.

Growing up here has made me lazy in some respects. Started sailing as a youth with brothers and such with no formal training. ie; backyard hobbycat. (Is that real sailing) My brother was the sea explorer so he knew how to come back after we would head out to sea. I would just do what i was told! :)

Very limited and no formal training. Certainly couldnt take out a "Ship".

I am a little concerned that it took you till 2.00 am to get it! Are you ok??? I could send something from Hawaii to the wife if she's very pissed at you.

All the best,
Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.28 In reply to 1916.27 
Thanks Burr.
It was a great giggle and thanks. In South Australian time I usually stop on the computer about 5pm and do just a quick check and close down about 10pm.

If you have done any sailing you will have a little of that something in your veins that put a really good meaning to life.

On my friends e-mails, from where this thread began, he is now talking about Spritsails and Snotters and a smail sail that used to go below the bowsprit,
I have seen this latter in very old ship paintings. It's all too complicated I think!

After nearly 55 years married to me I doubt you would have anything that would brighten up my wifes spirits! (If you can get our great South Australian Coopers Extra Stout there please have one on me. It's my computer juice! (in many USA states now))

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-8  9-28  29-33