Reefing a Sail
 1-20  21-33

Previous
Next
1916.21 In reply to 1916.20 
Thats a GREAT sail. I would have thought that was a picture. I dont know the boat in the original picture you posted. If I get some time today I'll go down to the docks and take pictures of the falls of clyde for you, Try to get some good angles for you to ponder. (Just something for me to do with the kids) May be able to better see the shortcomings of the displacement.
Anyway, Lookin good billy ray! (Feelin good lewis.)

Burr

It say's Berkeley on the building behind the boat. Any Idea's where that may be? There is one in Ca. but not sure if there is one on the east coast or not.

[EDIT] Seems theres at least one Berkeley Island, New Jersey![EDIT]

EDITED: 28 Aug 2008 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.22 In reply to 1916.20 
My wires crossed?
It's obviously not the Bowdoin at the Maine Maritime Academy at Castine, Maine that I had guessed at!

And waiting for the photos Burr.

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.23 In reply to 1916.22 
Brian
Charged up my camera and drove down with the kids for a museum day and.... It's either closed or under construction. The Falls of Clyde Is stripped and looks like a junk. Not a sail or wire or wheel or anything.

Oh well, I have nothing real to refer to now, I must defer! :)

Also, I just googled some pictures of it as it was while it was here and there were NO reefed sails. (One small one on the bow, Is that called a spinnaker?) Funny, I remembered all those Masts covered with reefed sails and them doing diving shows from the top!. Must have been a trip to disneyland im confused about. :)

Talk to you later.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.24 In reply to 1916.23 
Thanks for the thought. Sounds like an interesting ship. Lets know if you get more images later.
Delete from your post the idea that that small sail at the bow may be a spinnaker---oh dear, these uneducated land lubbers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinnaker

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.25 In reply to 1916.24 
Hah, Well obviously not a spinnaker! :)

It was one of the older kind of ships that had a big "Pointed pole" sticking out in front of it with a lady flying underneith. The sail was on this pole with the hypotnuse attached and the pointy end on a wire to be pulled up. What would this one be?

Ps. I'll usually leave my less than desirable post intact to remind me to keep in check with others and not shoot off to much. These may be here for years and when my son grows up he'll say..."Dad.... A SPINNAKER? Ha ha ha!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.26 In reply to 1916.25 
Quote------"It was one of the older kind of ships that had a big "Pointed pole" sticking out in front of it with a lady flying underneith. The sail was on this pole with the hypotnuse attached and the pointy end on a wire to be pulled up. What would this one be?"

Now I think you are having a dig at me? I will blame you if I wake up with bruises from my wife digging me in the ribs because I keep disturbing her sleep because I keep waking up laughing .

Brian
attach for the uninitiated.

ps--Burr, I hope you don't think I was being rude--It's hard to realise that others may not have the same background of sailing.
Here is how a sailor may have read that sentence--

"It was one of the older kind of ships that had a big bowsprit sticking out from the bow with a figure-head flying underneath. The sail was on this (jib-boom?—separate from the bowsprit?) –with the fore-stay attached and the sail-head on a wire halyard ready to be pulled up"

EDITED: 31 Dec 2008 by BWTR

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.27 In reply to 1916.26 
LOL!!!!

That was a great answer. And I'm not having a "Jib" at you!

Brian, you are a far more experienced Sailor than I for sure.

Growing up here has made me lazy in some respects. Started sailing as a youth with brothers and such with no formal training. ie; backyard hobbycat. (Is that real sailing) My brother was the sea explorer so he knew how to come back after we would head out to sea. I would just do what i was told! :)

Very limited and no formal training. Certainly couldnt take out a "Ship".

I am a little concerned that it took you till 2.00 am to get it! Are you ok??? I could send something from Hawaii to the wife if she's very pissed at you.

All the best,
Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.28 In reply to 1916.27 
Thanks Burr.
It was a great giggle and thanks. In South Australian time I usually stop on the computer about 5pm and do just a quick check and close down about 10pm.

If you have done any sailing you will have a little of that something in your veins that put a really good meaning to life.

On my friends e-mails, from where this thread began, he is now talking about Spritsails and Snotters and a smail sail that used to go below the bowsprit,
I have seen this latter in very old ship paintings. It's all too complicated I think!

After nearly 55 years married to me I doubt you would have anything that would brighten up my wifes spirits! (If you can get our great South Australian Coopers Extra Stout there please have one on me. It's my computer juice! (in many USA states now))

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.29 In reply to 1916.28 
>>After nearly 55 years married to me I doubt you would have anything that would brighten up my wifes spirits! (If you can get our great South Australian Coopers Extra Stout there please have one on me. It's my computer juice!>>

Chocolate Macadamia Candy??? Kona Coffeee??? All I need is a mailing address! :)

Will look for the stout in stores around here!

Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.30 In reply to 1916.29 
Good luck and Cheers!
Brian

EDITED: 31 Dec 2008 by BWTR

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.31 In reply to 1916.30 
Burr or anyone
Information on a Spritsail if of interest.

http://www.plimoth.org/captns-blog/?p=160

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1916.32 In reply to 1916.31 
Not once did they mention the "Long pointy thing"!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1916.33 In reply to 1916.32 
Ha!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options