my first completed nurbs project- transforming minivan/smart car thing

Next
I've entered it into this NASA contest for kicks and giggles, the link below has details on how this thing would work, and a sort of slideshow of it transforming. also the more pageviews i get, the better chance of winning i have so please click!

http://www.createthefuturecontest.com/pages/view/entriesdetail.html?entryID=1658

this was the first complete project that i finished in a nurbs modeler. i had had some sketchup experience before. MOI is so easy that i picked it up without much problems. i basically started out with a line drawing of the side (i havent learned how to sketch yet so i came up with it within moi) and then extended the various lines along the y axis until i got to a place where i had some sort of rough 3d outline of the thing. then i started in on the surfaces, i was all about sweep at first but this became difficult as the ends of the swept surface are very hard to control. i switched to network, which worked well for most of it but it was pretty labor intensive because of various problems. i was forever having to drag the endpoints of line segments to reconnect with other lines, especially on the swooping fenders. for example i would connect the end of line a to the middle of line b and create a beautiful surface. then i would decide to change the profile of line b, which would disconnect line a and screw the surface up. it would be nice to have a "glueing" feature which would make points stay on the lines they are snapped to, even when those lines are altered.

ok i actually have a whole list of other little improvements that i thought of, but ill stop myself here so it doesn't get too confusing. i'll post all this stuff over the next few days as i get the explanatory screenshots ready. thanks for the great program michael!

EDITED: 21 Aug 2008 by JEHAN

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1895.2 In reply to 1895.1 
Hi jehan, great job and really cool concept!

Choose between 2 seater or minivan with the same vehicle, interesting!

I wonder if you could have other back-end modules for different purposes, like an open bed pickup truck one?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1895.3 In reply to 1895.2 
yeah i was thinking about modeling a pickup bed too, but this whole thing was such a huge undertaking, i decided against it. the back part where the rear module sits could be used as some sort of a mini pickup bed, like a geo tracker or one of those little isuzu things.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All