Import Corel 2d file scale problems - New User!
All  1-2  3-12

Previous
Next
1876.3 In reply to 1876.2 
Hi Denny, sorry what I wrote above was not correct, that setting your unit system part applies to writing out an AI file, not reading one in.

Currently when MoI opens an AI file it scales it by 1/20 from the original native unit system in the file (which in AI is in "points", 1 point = 1/72 of an inch) to get numbers of a kind of reasonable size.

Right now you will need to scale the imported curves to get them the correct size - they need to scale up by 20 and then down by 1/72, so I think the scale factor you need is 20/72 = 0.2777777777

So to apply that scale factor, select all your curves, then run the Transform/Scale command.

The first prompt will say "Pick origin point" - this lets you define the point around which the scaling takes place. Type in 0 <enter> to specify the 0,0,0 origin point.

Then at the next prompt, type in 0.2777777777 for the scale factor and push enter and I think that should get your curves at the right scale. If you're using the v2 beta, you can type in 20/72 at that prompt and it will do the division for you.

Anyway, I would like to tune this up in v2 so that the stuff was at the expected scale automatically, I just haven't had anyone send me stuff for testing to make this work like that yet.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1876.4 In reply to 1876.3 
I have the latest version of Corel Draw. Just let me know and I'll send anything you need for testing.

Ed
Marysville Washington
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1876.5 In reply to 1876.4 
Hi Ed, I guess I'm just looking for any AI file that has an object of a certain expected size, like a rectangle of width and height 1 inch.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1876.6 In reply to 1876.3 
Thanks Michael,
I figured out I needed to scale it, but did not have exact ratio, so I was using good old "trial and error".
Now I know how to! Thanks again for the quick reply!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1876.7 In reply to 1876.6 
Hi Denny, I'm glad that you have a solution now!

But can you also please send me the file for me to test with? I would like to make some adjustments so that the scaling is no longer necessary in the next version.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1876.8 In reply to 1876.7 
Hi Michael,
Here is an AI file from Corel Version 10. It uses an AI 7 export. If you need one from Corel X3 let me know, it may use an export of later value, just not sure if it makes a difference. Could also send an actual Adobe file (CS2 I beleive).

Burr

EDITED: 26 Aug 2011 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1876.9 In reply to 1876.8 
Heres a couple others. Zip from corel x3 with version 8 through cs2 ai export. One from adobe illustrator cs2.

Burr

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1876.10 In reply to 1876.7 
This is file from corel 12. This profile is 3.500 lng x 0.500 high.
Thanks again
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Denny & Burr for the examples, I'll take a look here and see what I can do to preserve the scale better.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1876.12 In reply to 1876.1 
Hi Denny, I have tuned up this AI file scale thing for the next v2 beta version.

The way it will work is that if you have your unit system set to either inches, centimeters, or millimeters before you import the AI file, it will scale from the "points" units into that unit system. Otherwise it will scale by 1/20 to get sort of more regular numbers.

So for the next beta you won't have to scale, just set your units to inches before you open the AI file and it will come in at the size you wanted.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-12