Precision control
All  1-11  12-19

Previous
Next
1848.12 In reply to 1848.11 
Here may inlie the problem. The diameter or radius isnt quite the issue, this was me just making something fast. It's the .002 thing.

My bobcad interface is set to inches. Is the MM thing an internal file format or are you under the impression that my interface is set to mm?

If it is an internal export function, this could be my cause to take to Bobcad. What told you it was in mm?

[EDIT] Could there be a version issue with open nurbs. MoI is on version 3 and bobcad using 4? (Am I mistaken? I am getting this from the toolkit)[EDIT]
Burr

EDITED: 5 Aug 2008 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1848.13 In reply to 1848.12 
Hi Burr,

> Is the MM thing an internal file format or are you under the
> impression that my interface is set to mm?

It's what was set as the unit system in the .3dm file - the .3dm format has a place in it to mark what unit system is being used, in the bobcad file that is set to mm. (and coordinate values have been scaled so that they are in mm units instead of inches).

If you open that file up in MoI, then go to Options, you'll see Unit system: Millimeters, also same thing if you open it in Rhino.

> Could there be a version issue with open nurbs. MoI is on
> version 3 and bobcad using 4? (Am I mistaken? I am
> getting this from the toolkit)

It's true that MoI is using v3 of the OpenNURBS toolkit, but files written by OpenNURBS v3 are able to be read in by OpenNURBS v4 without any problem... I can't think of anything that would introduce error in coordinate values for example.

Maybe Bobcad does not like to get files with Inches as the units in the file?

I guess another test you could do would be to start a new file in MoI, set units to mm, then create a sphere of radius 127 mm - then import this into BobCAD - does this then show a value of exactly 5 inches in Bobcad? If so then maybe there is a possibility that BobCAD has a bug when importing files with inches as the unit system and converting it to mm...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1848.14 In reply to 1848.13 
>guess another test you could do would be to start a new file in MoI, set units to mm, then create a sphere of radius 127 mm - then import this into BobCAD - does this then show a value of exactly 5 inches in Bobcad?>

This is exactly the case Michael.

If you could respond one last time with what I could approach the BobCad people with, that would help to set me in the right direction.

Thanks again for the support,
Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1848.15 In reply to 1848.14 
Hi Burr, well that does seem to point to a problem in Bobcad where it seems to work internally in mm and has some kind of error when importing a file with units in inches instead.

I guess what I would recommend would be to tell the BobCad people that you're having a problem with importing .3dm model data when the units in the file are set to inches.

Give them 2 .3dm files - one file with the sphere with 5 inches and explain this seems to give the incorrect value of 5.002 units when imported into BobCad, but if the units are set to mm and you have 127 mm (5 inches = 127 mm), that seems to work fine.

Please let me know if you find anything out from them.

It looks like for the time being a workaround for you would be to convert your units to mm before you do your export into BobCad. MoI will handle the scaling for you, so for example when you switch your units to mm your sphere will be converted from 5 inches into 127 mm.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1848.16 In reply to 1848.15 
Thank you.

I'll post back any results.

Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1848.17 In reply to 1848.16 
You're welcome Burr! It's kind of a strange problem, I hope they will be able to give some more information on it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1848.18 In reply to 1848.17 
I just posted on their beta side. We'll see what comes of it.

:)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1848.19 In reply to 1848.18 
I suppose I could also learn to convert and work with mm. (Seems again I shouldnt have been so stubborn when they wanted me to learn it in school :o)

Thats what I get!
Burr

Still waiting. Will post back.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-11  12-19