Unable to create Direct 3D9 device

Next
Michael,

Any idea what I have done :-) it was working a week ago ???

This title message is all I see all in all 4 viewports.....

Rgds,
--Paul--

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1830.2 In reply to 1830.1 
Hi Paul, that message is displayed if Windows reports back an error when MoI uses the Direct3D system to try and talk to your video card.

Something may have gone wrong with your video card's software, like maybe it has not managed its video memory well.

Please try rebooting your machine and see if that solves your problem.

If you run into this often, you may want to update your video drivers to the latest version to see if that helps. Usually the best way to do that is to visit the web site of your video card's manufacturer and get the latest drivers from there.

Another thing you can try is to go to Start/Run and type in dxdiag.exe - that will run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. On it you can go to the Display tab and there will be a button for "Test Direct3D" - you can hit that to see if Direct3D is working on your system or not.

If you have disabled Direct3D for some reason there is also a Disable/Enable button there you can use.

Please let me know if you continue to have problems after rebooting your machine.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1830.3 In reply to 1830.1 
I don't think it will help, but did youn by any chance, changed the hardware acceleration level of you graphic card ?
(Display properties / Advanced / Troubleshoot / Hardware acceleration slider)

I have to change it myself sometimes to keep compability with an old software gui, and forget sometimes to put it back to full acceleration.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1830.4 In reply to 1830.3 
>Another thing you can try is to go to Start/Run and type in dxdiag.exe - that will run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. On it you can go to the Display tab and there will be a button for "Test Direct3D" - you can hit that to see if Direct3D is working on your system or not.

Dont be scared to UPGRADE the Direct X also. This page shows you the version you have. Shoud say at least 9c or something like that!

[EDIT]
Also if the reboot doesnt fix it and it was working a week ago, it could be a color depth or resolution setting. Did you change this? (New monitor, etc.) [EDIT]

EDITED: 29 Jul 2008 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1830.5 In reply to 1830.2 
Hi Michael, Thanks for the help. I am already running the latest drivers for my Quadro FX3400...I tried what you said and everything seemed fine on that score but then I read PaQ's comment and remembered that I throttled back the acceleration only a few days ago..so thank's PaQ im back working !!!

Thanks again guys

Rgds,
--Paul--

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All