Moi - thanks and some suggestions

Next
Hi,

first i want to say thank you for this developement, it is in fact a workflow optimized 3D-tool.
I also use Rhino for a long time, but never get very comfortable with it because of the workflow.

Your tool is really different and makes a lot of fun to work with!
Please keep on the good work!

There are some suggestions that (IMHO) would be a good addition:

- Import of 2D-Splines (.ai)
- The thickness of drawn splines should be adjustable (like the GUI Buttons) (1-5 pixel).
- The export of polygondata is good, but could have better (adjustable) settings, not only a slider.

Best regards,
Artur
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
182.2 In reply to 182.1 
Hi Artur, I'm glad you like MoI!

> - Import of 2D-Splines (.ai)

I hope to be able to do this in not too long, maybe within the next month.

> - The thickness of drawn splines should be adjustable (like the GUI Buttons) (1-5 pixel).

I should be able to add in something for this as a setting in the moi.ini file. Probably not for the next beta, but the one after that.

> - The export of polygondata is good, but could have better (adjustable) settings, not only a slider.

What type of settings are you interested in? Do you mean you would rather type in a number than use the slider?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
182.3 In reply to 182.2 

Export also a "simple curve" made in 2D inside Moi in format (ai) will be terrific!
That can be remplace the workflow of Illustrator who is not the top for ergonomic drawing curves :)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
182.4 In reply to 182.2 
>> - The export of polygondata is good, but could have better (adjustable) settings, not only a slider.

> What type of settings are you interested in? Do you mean you would rather type in a number than use the slider?

Hi Michael,

thanks for your reply.

The settings that i think of are a greater control of the polygon creation (like the rhino setting but with easier handling).

Of course an angle setting would be fine or a subdivision max. length of polygons or edges...

regards,
Artur
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
182.5 In reply to 182.3 
> Export also a "simple curve" made in 2D inside Moi in format (ai) will be terrific!

Yup, I want to do .ai export like this as well.

I think that .ai format will probably be the last format added for the V1 release.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
182.6 In reply to 182.4 
> Of course an angle setting would be fine or a subdivision max. length of polygons or edges...

Right now the slider does control an angle setting. When you move the slider down, the angle increases, and moving it up decreases the angle.

I don't really think that you'd gain very much by having a text entry box to type the angle number in instead of using a slider for it - just the way that the angle works, the number itself is not so important you have to try it and see the results and then change it slightly. This type of "slight change" workflow is just easier to do by dragging a slider slightly to the left or right instead of repeatedly typing in 15.0 then 15.1 then 15.2 ...

But I have been thinking of adding some controls in addition to the slider for some other parameters which would be numeric, such as a maximum distance deviation between the polygon edge and the surface...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
A little field by the slider stating the total number of polygons would be nice :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
182.8 In reply to 182.7 
> A little field by the slider stating the total number of polygons would be nice :)

I messed with this a little bit before, but it started to swell up the size of the dialog which was unpleasant.

So I was thinking of spewing this information into the area in the upper-right where the command options normally go.

I wish that all the mesh controls could go over there instead of in a dialog, because I hate having the dialog cover up the viewport area. Everything in the normal flow of regular commands is set up to avoid having dialogs that cover the screen. But since the save command has already broken the pattern by showing the file save dialog, it seemed kind of too subtle to put the controls over there in the regular place instead of in a dialog, I think that there would be some confusion if part of the command was a dialog and the next part was in the options area.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All