Boolean diff

Next
Please advice how to Boolean a cone from the shape of the ring?
The cone is inside the ring.
When I want to Boolean diff I click ring for the base and when prompted to select objects to subtract I need to click the cone but it is hidden under the overall shape of the ring.
Please advice how to subtract the cone from the overall shape.

-Thanks - Olga-
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1814.2 In reply to 1814.1 
Hi Olga,
I just did it by selecting base, then when promted to select diff object I hide the base(under the edit menu), select the cone, then done.

good luck,
Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1814.3 In reply to 1814.1 
Hi Olga,

The easiest way to cut the cone out of the ring top is to first make sure you're working with closed objects.

In your model, the end point of the construction curve on the side didn't connect to the ellipse on top, causing the
network surface to not conform to the curves, which would cause some problems connecting
the bezel surfaces to to the ring as a closed "leak-tight" model.

And as Burr mentioned, hiding the object in the way will let you pick the cone. But I guess old habits die hard.. :-)
I also capped the cone before I subtracted it from the ring, which is the way you'd have to do it in Rhino.

-Jesse

EDITED: 25 Jul 2008 by JESSE

Image Attachments:
Size: 263.6 KB, Downloaded: 41 times, Dimensions: 640x1536px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1814.4 In reply to 1814.1 
Hi Olga, also you may want to check out this recent message:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1810.2

That has a short tutorial on another way to select objects that are inside of other ones by using the left-to-right window select, which only targets objects that are completely contained inside the selection window.

If things are getting in your way though, definitely hiding is a good way to deal with that problem.

Don't hesitate too much to hide things.

Also kind of a vaguely similar situation is if you are having difficulty targeting a particular point to snap on to, it is a good habit to get into to zoom in to make things easier on yourself rather than struggling with trying to work in an area that you can't clearly see.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All