Seam of object
All  1-2  3-6

Previous
Next
1812.3 In reply to 1812.1 
Hi Burr, yeah could you please post the .3dm model file? That would definitely help to give you a more specific answer.

Seams can be a problem for fillets if you have a cut that comes close to a seam but does not actually slice into it. But from your screenshot it does not look like you have that situation so I'm not quite sure what you are running into.

You might try using a smaller radius - often times it is surprising how much space a fillet will take up and it is pretty easy to ask for a radius that does not have enough room to fit.

That's just a guess though, if you post the model it would help to give you more specific info.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1812.4 In reply to 1812.3 
Thanks Danny, caught it for me. The THREE edges were my mistake. I was only picking 2.

Fillet works through seam. Attn to detail.

Thanks again,
Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1812.5 In reply to 1812.4 
Hi Burr, probably it would be best if I did a kind of automatic "edge cleanup" pass after booleans or trimming operations, to try and glue together these kinds of edges that got broken up into smaller pieces.

It definitely gets harder to select things when they are broken up, especially if one of the pieces is small in size.

In addition to that I also want to add some tools to help selecting chains of edges too.

Both of these things will take some careful effort to do, so it may take me a while before I get to them, but I have them included in my notes of stuff to work on.

One quick note - there is actually one shortcut for selecting many edges to fillet already in place, which is to actually select a face to fillet instead of edges. Then all the edges of that face will be targeted for filleting.

For example if you have this shape and you want to fillet just the top edges:

You could select all the top edges to do it, but another way is to select just the one top face:

Then when you do fillet all the edges attached to it will be targeted for filleting:

Edges get a kind of "selection preference" over faces though, so to target a face you have to click in an area on it where there is not an edge nearby. Sometimes you may need to zoom in a bit to get a good open area like that.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Hi Burr,
Your welcome.

Hi Michael,

> In addition to that I also want to add some tools to help selecting chains of edges too.

That will great if you could implement a chain curve feature.
There are two main types of chain curve feature that I've come across, the first type is where the command tries to pick all the connected curves automatically but sometimes it has a hard time picking the chain you want, for example, the situation you have there with the face selection for filleting the top edges, in an auto chain situation if I wanted to chain the top face edges only, you pick one edge and the auto chain will try to chain the connecting edges but 50% of the time it will pick the edges of the perpendicular face, frustrating!

The other type I have more success with is where you pick the curve at the start of the chain and the curve at the end of your chain, in that way you have control in if you want a closed chain or just one side of the face edges or a segment of a closed loop.

What ever you put in place, knowing your work it'll probably be some innovative kick ass system that no other cad vendor has thought of.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-6