select only visible mesh

Next
Is it possible to select only the visible meshes ? I need to delete the internal parts of igs model given me from the client .
I select only the visible part ,hide them ,select the internal and delete them.
I 'm a new user ,bought Moi this morning :-)
Thanks

Gianmarco
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1810.2 In reply to 1810.1 
Hi Gianmarco, welcome to MoI!

There is not currently any automatic way to select only all visible objects. But I think it will not be difficult to add in a script method to enable this for the next v2 beta version, I'll look into that just a bit later.

Currently I would recommend what you are already doing with clicking to select the outside part and hiding it.

One other thing that can come in handy for this is the window select with a left-to-right window.

When you do a window select starting on the left side and moving to the right, only objects that are completely contained inside of that window will be selected. If you start on the right side and drag the window to the left instead, any objects that intersect the window in any way will be captured (the window shows with a dashed outline for this second method).

You can often use strategic placement of the "only inside" left-to-right side to capture small objects on the inside of others.

One other thing that helps with this is you can hold down Shift+Ctrl to force triggering of a window select even when starting on top of an object - this is handy when clicking and dragging on a spot would otherwise normally drag an object instead of doing a window select.

Here's an illustration:

So to do that I held down Shift + Ctrl and started the window on the left side and dragged it to the right. Only the small cubes inside of the larger sphere were then selected, the large sphere is not selected because it was not completely inside the window.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1810.3 In reply to 1810.2 
Thanks Michael .
For me this will be a great feature ,my clients give me igs files with a tons of "hidden" pieces ,quite a bit boring to delete them .
Imho you've built a very good software with the best lwo/obj exporter I ever used.Keep going !

Ciao
Gianmarco
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1810.4 In reply to 1810.3 
Hi Gianmarco, I have added a function for this for the next v2 beta.

The way it will work is that you will be able to set up a keyboard shortcut, and put this new script call in for the command:
code:
script:moi.geometryDatabase.selectVisible();

Then when you push the key that you assigned the shortcut to, it will select the visible objects. These are all the objects that have any part of them visibly displayed on any viewport that is showing - these are all objects that would have been accessible by a click type selection.

You'll probably want to have the "Split" view configuration active when you do this, so that multiple view angles will be used. If you have only a single viewport active (like the view control on the bottom bar set to "Top" for example), then only the visible objects in that particular view will be selected.

Please note - this does not work in the current release, it is something that will work in the next v2 beta version which I hope to release sometime next week.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1810.5 In reply to 1810.4 
Great ! It'll speed up my workflow a lot .Thanks !!

Ciao
Gianmarco
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All