mol Export to Sketchup 5 ? + FAQs
All  1  2-11

Previous
Next
181.2 In reply to 181.1 

< -Is there anyway to export an object (model) done in moi 3d to Sketchup?
Yes just export it as obj (a terrific function of MoI), reload it with any 3D prog and save it as 3DS format even in the free Google Sketchup :) thx f700es
The free Amapi 6.1 can help you for that :)
http://forums.polyloop.net/forumdisplay.php?f=83 you must register (free) and post just one post :)

Idem for 3dMax of course :)

< -Can i export screens?
Press the key "PprintScreen" of your computer, open your favorit 2D prog, menu Edit Past as new image :)
try the free tremendous Artweaver http://www.artweaver.de/index.php?en_version (clone of Painter Classic + functions of Toshop :)

< -is there anyway to make the model not shaded.how do i make my shapes solid?
Goto menu Option, disable Hidden line edges, hidden line curves :)
For the shadow I don't remember if you can change this parameter in the moi.ini file?

EDITED: 26 Oct 2006 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
181.3 In reply to 181.1 
Hi Charly, thank you for the kind words!

For 3D Studio Max, if you have a recent version I think that it can import .obj files, so that is one method (export .obj from MoI). If you have a slightly older version you should be able to find a plugin that will do it, ask around on a Max forum for that. That will bring the model over as polygons. You can also use the IGES format if you want to bring the NURBS surfaces over. I believe you can also buy a plugin from npowersoftware.com that will give Max the ability to read .3dm files directly, so that is an additional option.

For SketchUp, it appears that SketchUp can write .obj files but does not have the ability to read them? It might be nice to ask the SketchUp folks to add that capability, I am kind of surprised that it is missing. For now it appears that you will have to read the file into Max and then export as .3ds to get it into SketchUp.

It would be better if SketchUp implemented an .obj importer, because .3ds files are very limited - they can only contain triangles and there is even a limitation on the number of points that can be in a single mesh. The .obj format supports multi-sided polygons instead of only triangles, and does not have a limit on the mesh size so it is a much better quality format in general. That is why I have focused on .obj support from MoI and not .3ds .

I think that Pilou has answered your other questions, please let me know if you need any more info on them.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
thank u guys for the quick replys.. ill do what u posted and c what happens

i had one other question, can u render in this programme?

add material lights etc. or its ment for the model purposes only?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
181.5 In reply to 181.4 
Hi Charly, nope, no rendering right now. I do expect to eventually add some rendering functionality in some future version, but the V1 release will be focused just on modeling only.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
181.6 In reply to 181.4 

When you have export to Sketchup you can use the free Kerkythea (a little slow but very easy to use)
who has a special transfert from Sketchup!
http://www.softlab.ntua.gr/~jpanta/Graphics/Kerkythea/

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
181.7 In reply to 181.1 
<-is there anyway to make the model not shaded. everyhting seems to be slightly transparent. how do i make my shapes solid?
In moi : begin to export as Obj and you can see at the screen" Shade, Shade + Edges, Wireframe" :)
Just press the "print screen" key of your computer :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
181.8 In reply to 181.2 
Frenchy Pilou (PILOU) wrote:

"< -Is there anyway to export an object (model) done in moi 3d to Sketchup?
Yes just export it as obj (a terrific function of MoI), reload it with any 3D prog and save it as 3DS format but you must have the pro Version of Sketchup and not the free Google Sketchup :)"

Small correction Frenchy, Google SU (free version) can import a .3ds file with no problem. Good advise on the rest ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
181.9 In reply to 181.8 

< Small correction Frenchy, Google SU (free version) can import a .3ds file with no problem
You are entierely right I will correct that :)
It can also accept the dxf and dem & ddf but moi has not yet alas that :)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
181.10 In reply to 181.9 
Yes, dxf and even dwg will be good additions to MOI down the road. I could could great potential of having dwg since the current ACAD finally has a good rendering engine (3DS's Mental Ray) in it.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
181.11 In reply to 181.10 
> Yes, dxf and even dwg will be good additions to MOI down the road.

Yeah, they are on my radar to work in eventually, but I don't think it will happen for V1.

When it does get implemented it will be for more than just meshes - I'll want to also be able to transfer curves and 2d snapshots as well, so it is a fair amount of work.

For just mesh transfer DXF is not really the best since it only supports polygon meshes with triangles and quads in them, not n-sided polys like .obj does. That's why I picked .obj instead of .dxf for V1. Most things that import DXF also import .obj, but Sketchup appears to be an exception.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-11