Unable to create directd9 device

Next
Hi, I just purchased MOI and i get this message on my screen when the program opens,
"Unable to create directd9 device"
I really liked the Demo version and hope I can get running soon!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1794.2 In reply to 1794.1 
Hi wrench, that means that some kind of error was reported back when MoI tried to talk to your video card.

Sometimes this happens if someone has a much older video card that doesn't support the 3D type functions that MoI needs to run. But if you were running the demo previously then that isn't the case here.

It is likely to be some kind of bug in your video drivers, can you please try rebooting your machine and see if it MoI will then run ok after that?

If that does work, then it may be a good idea to go to your video driver manufacturer's web site and download the latest version of their video drivers and install those on your system to update.

Please let me know if you are still not able to run MoI even after a full system restart.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1794.3 In reply to 1794.2 
The computer that I use for designing runs MOI fine, it's the one I use for my CNC that is the problem.

I am not worried about it. Probably don't need it on that one anyways. I tried an older ATI 3D Video Card
on it and got a message "Incompatible Hardware, This device does not support 24-bit depth buffer with 8-bit stencil".
Well, that message stumped me, so I put it back together and will not bother. Thanks for the quick reply. Nice
to know help is available if needed.

Wrench
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1794.4 In reply to 1794.3 
Hi Wrench, do you know what the model of the ATI card is?

That message will pop up if the video card does not support a particular style of drawing surface that MoI wants to use.

Some of the very older 3D video cards are very limited by today's standards, if you've got one that is more than about 5 or 6 years old it probably just does not have the right capabilities that MoI needs to run.

Pretty much any card made within the last 5 years should usually be ok though...

MoI actually does not need a very fancy card to run (even like a $20 more recent one should be ok), but if your card is much older it probably is just not going to have the right stuff.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1794.5 In reply to 1794.4 
The Card is an ATI PCI XPERT 98 8M
Year 1997 printed on card. It has a '3D ATI' logo on the card.
Another thing, that may be the problem, is that the Video Card may be built into system.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1794.6 In reply to 1794.4 
The Card is an ATI PCI XPERT 98 8M
Year 1997 printed on card. It has a '3D ATI' logo on the card.
Another thing, that may be the problem, is that the Video Card may be built into system.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1794.7 In reply to 1794.6 
Hi Wrench, yeah by 3D graphics hardware standards I'm afraid that is like an antique comparatively...

That basically dates back pretty close to the time when PC 3D graphics hardware was just initially invented - there have been about 8 generation cycles of new technology for 3D graphics cards since that time.

MoI does not need the most recent generation graphics hardware to work, but it does need something a bit more than that. I would usually recommend that going back about 5 generations in 3D technology should be pretty fine unless you are working on large projects.

From ATI basically anything from the Radeon series should work, even back to the first Radeon 7000, but I would really recommend Radeon 9200 or higher.

Usually with built-in graphics cards there is a way that they can be disabled and a separately installed one used instead...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1794.8 In reply to 1794.7 
I have an Ati Radeon 9200 and Moi works fine with it, but it's not sufficent for few graphic recent progs Open Gl or recent games ;)
Don't support new system shaders
Google Sketchup Yes, Zbrush yes, 3Dcoat only in DX mode and with very low regulates, Spore (future crazzy games) No etc...
Maybe these low price models can be cool (in french but you have names :)
http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00067125.html
http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00062211.html
http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00060171.html
old PC AGP > http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00066070.html

EDITED: 20 Jul 2008 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged