Shell Problem

Next
Hi All...

I got this file from old moi discussion forum.
I have tried to shell this surface but not work even the thickness 0.1

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1773.2 In reply to 1773.1 
Hi

The reason is the point structure of the surface. Because all point rows meet at a single point, you actually get 5 points at the same spot.
This creates self-intersection when the surface is offset into the concave form, and probably an extremely short edge when it is offset the other way.

Try using NetworkSrf and make a rectangular shape which you then trim with the round boundary. See my attachment. It isn't precise, but its possible to make it fit quite exactly to your desired shape.

I would avoid single point heaps as far as possible to avoid problems like this.

Regards,
Fredrik

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1773.3 In reply to 1773.1 
Hi Anis
I don't know if its of any interest to you but you can if you extrude it first. I think it cant be shelled until it has some thickness.
Keith
Image Attachments:
Size: 39.6 KB, Downloaded: 13 times, Dimensions: 862x687px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1773.4 In reply to 1773.2 
@fredrik :

Yes, your tips working. What I am thinking is when I sent the file ( chairDesign02.3dm ) to my friend then open the file in another program ( SW ), he cant give a thickness also ( the error message is "degenerate geometry". Is there another tips so with the same technique ( use old curves, then network ) then we can shell them without a problem. I tried to delete one of the point, but it will delete the surface its self. So, not working.

@keith :

I think the result is not common. The thickness is not constant.

Thanks Guys....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1773.5 In reply to 1773.1 
Hi Anis, the geometry library that MoI uses has some bugs in it when it comes to shelling certain surfaces that have their ends collapsed down into a single "pole" type point like there is in this situation.

Currently to get a good shell of a shape like this, you have to model it in a slightly different way - instead of making those curves come to a point at the top and bottom, make them into a more square kind of sheet. Then you can trim away the corners of that sheet with a rounded curve.

A larger rectangular sheet that is then trimmed will be a better input shape for shelling than what you've currently got.

Even aside from bugs in the geometry library, it is kind of the nature of such pinched together shapes to have a sort of bumpy surface normal as the shape approaches the tip, when all the control points for the surface come together it is just not unusual for any small variations in them to produce kind of "micro" lumps in the surface - those are the kinds of things that are generally difficult for the offset and shelling functions to process.

Meanwhile a larger rectangular sheet has a much, much more smooth surface quality to it, those kinds of surfaces are just more suited for offset and shell calculations.

Please let me know if you would like some visual examples on the above.

- Michael

Edit - oops I see that Fredrik has already answered with the same advice - yes the image he shows there is the same kind of thing.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1773.6 In reply to 1773.5 
>Try using NetworkSrf and make a rectangular shape which you then trim with the round boundary. See my >attachment. It isn't precise, but its possible to make it fit quite exactly to your desired shape.

Hi Fredrik,

If you have time could you descibe how you made the square to be trimmed?

Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1773.7 In reply to 1773.6 
You have to join the 2 boundary curves first. They myst form a closed curve, and they should lie close to the surface. Then it should be just to trim and use remove mode.

Does that work?

- Fredrik
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

Will Moi get a patch function similar to rhino at some point?
If so, I was thinking it could be hidden in the Network command. It could help in cases like this chair. Or like attached screenshot of patch from Rhino.

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1773.9 In reply to 1773.8 
Hi Frederik, yes I hope to add that in at some point.

The one that was immediately available in the geometry library that I am using was just a little too "wild" and lumpy when I first attempted to use it. In the future when I get a chance to dig into it some more I think I should be able to get it to work though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1773.10 In reply to 1773.9 
That's good Michael.

BTW. The Sweep scaling rail and automatic profile placement are very clever!

-Fredrik
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1773.11 In reply to 1773.10 
>You have to join the 2 boundary curves first. They myst form a closed curve, and they should lie close to the >surface. Then it should be just to trim and use remove mode.

So did you draw your network surface to be shaped like the chair, then trim... Or did your trim shape the network suface (an original flat square)?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All