some problem with Boolean Union and Fillet
All  1-12  13-17

Previous
Next
1767.13 In reply to 1767.12 
Hi Ed,

> Would changing MoI to make the two types of lines
> different colors be a solution?

I'm not sure about that... It is tough to come up with colors that people will attach meaning to. If you see a bunch of different colors and you don't really have a meaning to attach to them, it doesn't really solve the fundamental problem very well.

Because of that, I've kind of tried in general to keep using colors down to a kind of minimal level that have more distinct meanings, like yellow = selected is pretty straightforward.

But I don't think it would be a bad idea to have an option to have them displayed in different colors if you want, I mean if you do know what those colors mean then that could indeed be helpful.

Also though, I want to support the ability to change colors on different objects as a way for you to separate them into different groups for your own kind of labeling purposes... That's another reason why I have kind of stayed away from using too many colors for the "system" because it then tends to get confused with your own coloring schemes.

One of the first steps that will help out with this is the properties panel that I want to do which will show up to show you some information about the selected objects. So I'll probably wait and see how that works first before really doing more in this particular area.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1767.14 In reply to 1767.13 
I think the option to assign colors is a good idea.

Looking forward to a properties panel. I had a 2D shape that failed to obtain end caps during extrude. I was sure I had closed my curves with "blend" but one very, very small gap existed. I could have used a dialog to tell me the shape was not closed.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1767.15 In reply to 1767.14 
Renato,
Awesome with all booleans. Dont forget to check out the sweep and loft tools in MoI.

The same thing can be done by using loft with 4 circles.

I pick the bottom, then top down, then choose loft. Choose straight as a style. and chamfer your edges. (dont forget to erase the original circles)

Burr

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1767.16 In reply to 1767.15 
BurrMan,

That´s a nice way to do it, I like when something can be done in a different way, there is a lot of different possibilities.

I used Loft in the first piece, using 2 circles. But I don´t know if doing only with Loft it would really be the same. The tip of the cone is like a little sphere, but it can be done after using the loft, so no big deal. But I used a sphere with Boolean Diff to make the concavity, if you use Loft for that wouldn´t it be a base of a cone? A cone upside down without its top?

Anyway, I liked the idea.
I´m trying to make more objects to learn more of each tool. As I said, I´ve no previous experience in 3D modeling so while I´m exploring MoI I´m also exploring 3D modeling... hehehe...
I just hope that when I give a try in Rhino, for exemple, it doesnt feel too strange or difficult... lol...

Next thing I´m going to try to make is a Wi-Fi USB adapter, my mouse, my cellphone... All the objects around me... hehehe... I hope that by the end of the month I´m able to make more complex things, the problem and the dilemma is: not be able to save or just have 30-day trial... cuz if I have to turn the computer off or Windows decide to stop working [like it does sometimes... bad temper... ] I´ll have to start it again... lol...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1767.17 In reply to 1767.16 
>But I used a sphere with Boolean Diff to make the concavity, if you use Loft for that wouldn´t it be a base of >a cone? A cone upside down without its top?

Yes Renato. I suppose I just dont pay close enough attention. Just passing on my excitement as I am learning MoI along with you. I hope you can save up and Buy MoI and then we can swap stuff as we chat. Good luck with the surrounding items!

Talk to you later,
Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-12  13-17