How do you model a car in Moi?
 1-20  21-40  41-48

Previous
Next
1749.41 In reply to 1749.40 
Hi Michael...

>Hi Anis, I would like to add some tools for that in v2, but I am not certain yet of the schedule.
Glad to hear those communication tools will ready for V2 ( at least a very simple one ).

>Those will definitely be coming at some point in the future,
>but it is just too difficult right now for me to guess exactly when that will happen.

Yup, I can understand. I just wish you can manage your time to do so many jobs.

Thanks Michael...!!! :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1749.42 In reply to 1749.41 
Hi Anis,

> Glad to hear those communication tools will ready for V2
> ( at least a very simple one ).

Well, I can't promise that they will be in V2, just that I would like to put them in there if I can find enough time to do it.

If other things take too much time then it may have to be postponed until a later version.

I would not like to do that, but it may be necessary. Right now it is too early to tell you with certainty, sorry!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1749.43 In reply to 1749.36 
The Story continues............

Mr. Sharp Cheddar wins a contract from GM to design and manufacture plastic injection moulds to produce headlamp bezels, there are 2 to design so he gives one project 'a' to the new 'Genius' Burr with laptop in hand and project 'b' to poor ol' Danny on his workstation.
They both take 2 weeks to complete the modeling, then the shop floor needs detailed drawings of the 20 components that need to be manufactured, Danny completes these in 3-4 days, Burr imports his models into NX and does the detail drawings as well.

Then the CAM guys open up project 'b' individual models from the assembly tree and start generating machine cutter paths, while with project 'a' they have to blank off 19 items to work on one item, then managing the whole project in the one file starts to become difficult and no one else can work on the other models because they've been modeled in one file.

Anyhow, both projects are complete, then Mr. Sharp Cheddar calls in a panic for an engineering meeting and says that the customer has made some styling changes to the product and we have to update all our data to reflect this change.

So off we go, after about 4 hours poor ol' Danny calls Mr.Cheddar and tells him that he's loaded the new product data and updated the models, the detail drawings and the CAM and it's back on track.
The Genius comes back after 3-4 days with the updated models because he had to delete, untrim, rework copy and paste surfaces to get back on track again.
Then he had to load the models back into NX to update all the drawings which took another 3 days, then the CAM guys were complaining because they virtually had to start again because the generated cutter paths all 'fell over' because most of the surface tags have changed and wouldn't update so there was another week there.
Meanwhile, project 'b' is well into machining.

Poor ol' Danny got his position back and well, as for the new guy, Mr.Cheddar decided he should just fold drawings for now until he got proper training.

So Burr, I don't know what industry you come from but this is how it works in the real world in big organizations.

BTW that simple model you did would of taken me the same time to do in NX as it would in MoI.

Cheers
~Danny~

EDITED: 3 Dec 2009 by DANTAS

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1749.44 In reply to 1749.43 
You forgot. Poor old Danny was fired!

The Genius Burr, who realizes that there are more than ONE tool to do the job and utilizing the BEST tool for the job at hand, went back and did the actual job with NX. See, the point was, NX isnt the best tool for everything, Having a toolset is Smart. MoI would have been the tool to use in Mr. CHeddars office while he was presenting, then to show INSTANT results while in the meeting. Poor Danny never made it to the meeting. He was trying to pack up his workstation to use NX to show he can build Complicated full processed workflows.

I am surely a novice. However, the original discussion wasnt that MoI can replace ALL OTHER design packages. No ONE design package can DO IT ALL! Even the most clouded intelligence can surely see that.

And as for how fast you could make the same part I made. I would love to see you at your workstation, nothing open, and Michael at his, and see who finished their part first.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1749.45 In reply to 1749.44 
All right you guys, that's probably enough on the "who could do what" type stuff, that's just starting to devolve a bit here, and it is way off the original topic of how to model a car.

All the stuff about "high end" versus "low end" has probably been covered enough here for a while at least.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1749.46 In reply to 1749.44 
Hi Burr,

>> I am surely a novice. However, the original discussion wasnt that MoI can replace ALL OTHER design packages. No ONE design package can DO IT ALL! Even the most clouded intelligence can surely see that.

I said it comes close to do it all, in the 'hard' engineering/Industrial design type of stuff I'm not trying to promote NX or put it on a pedestal, I was just trying to point out that in my line of business it is the only tool we need, I bought MoI for personal use because of it's ease of use and refreshing interface which was ideal for my hobby and to express ideas and MoI is quite capable of doing accurate modeling for real world stuff as well (I did a successful job at home) but it would not suit at work at this stage for our type of business, not even as a companion.

>> And as for how fast you could make the same part I made. I would love to see you at your workstation, nothing open, and Michael at his, and see who finished their part first.

As for speed if you know your softwares capabilities and where everything lives you can't compare and there are a whole lot of other factors involved.
Define speed? speed of modeling, speed of editing a model, speed of repositioning a hole, speed of assembly of components ??

I can go on with this for days, but because you are a novice I don't expect you to fully understand.
Just enjoy MoI, grow with it and create stuff that makes you and your friends smile.
I'm sure MoI will become even better as time goes on and I'm sticking with it.

I think thats it on this matter, my apology's to Bogdan and Michael for the hijacking of this thread.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1749.47 In reply to 1749.20 
Hi Micheal,

>>sorry I leapt to an incorrect conclusion there.

I was starting to get annoyed, certainly as I was actually backing your program. Anyway, move on.

- Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1749.48 In reply to 1749.19 
Hi Bogdan,

>>I could have picked a much more easier subject, like a WV Beatle for example. But I wanted to push my skills and MoI as much as possible and I have picked this BMW M5; here is the blueprint:

You could certainly of picked an easier car to model. Are you sure you would not prefer something that will not take a long time to complete?
I dont mind modeling that car, but as I say, due to short spare time, the complexity and a need to show all steps with explanation, it could /would take quite a while.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-48