Need Advice Modeling an Organic Model
 1-20  21-27

Next
Hi All....

I need some advice from you create an organic model inside Moi. The model its self I think not too organic. I know there are many software that specific for this organic shape. But I want to know. Is it still possible create this in Moi. How hard ?

I have front, right & top view pictures.
Below is the front.

Thank You :-)

EDITED: 19 Jun 2010 by ANIS

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.2 In reply to 1748.1 
Hi Anis,

Something like this http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1440.5

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.3 In reply to 1748.2 
Yup Danny....

Thats what I looking for.
I come from mechanical / hard modeling. The difficult thing for me is how to build the construction sketch ?

Wish Jesse come to this thread and give me some tips....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.4 In reply to 1748.3 
Hi Anis,

> I come from mechanical / hard modeling.

Yeah me too, thats why I got onto MoI because of its versatility, in that I can have fun with it and like you do some 'organic/character' modeling, but at the same time I can use it purely for engineering as well.

Actually Anis, we were trying to start a sort of group modeling session http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1633.1 and we all started with a toy truck but I think we could increase the difficulty a bit with your giraffe toy , if you don't mind that is, and we could see how everyone would tackle each part post some examples and learn from each other.

What do you think?

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.5 In reply to 1748.4 
Hi Danny...

"Yeah me too, thats why I got onto MoI because of its versatility,
in that I can have fun with it and like you do some 'organic/character' modeling,
but at the same time I can use it purely for engineering as well."

A haa...., so we have same background.
Lets look who will be the first that expert in character modeling :-)........

"Actually Anis, we were trying to start a sort of group
modeling session http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1633.1
and we all started with a toy truck but I think we could increase the difficulty
a bit with your giraffe toy , if you don't mind that is, and we could see how everyone
would tackle each part post some examples and learn from each other.

What do you think?"

OK, agree with you. But think we have ask another Moi forum members for this challenge.
Attached are the front, right & top view of the toy.
If they are agree with this model, please create a new thread for this modeling challenge.

You are senior member in this forum, so it will better if the challenge posted by a senior member :-)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.6 In reply to 1748.5 
Hi Anis,

Not sure if this will help, but I do remember a thread from some time ago.
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1513.1

regards Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi all,
Would anyone else be interested tackling this or should we post more pictures of that sort of organic/character stuff and have a vote on which one would we most learn from.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.8 In reply to 1748.7 
I'm interested in this - but have little idea how I would go about it in a nurbs program :(

I hope it goes ahead with people posting along the lines of "I made the ears by altering the point on a solid sphere", "Well I made them by lofting over these lines which I found easier because...".

I don't think we need a "senior member" ( been a user longer, more posts, older ?) to host this - although I hope more experienced users will add there own words of wisdom :)

Anyway here is my first attempt - I am sure it could be improved on .... slightly :).

The ears are the only bit I am no too unhappy with (altered points on a solid sphere :) ) as for the rest....

So come on in - I'm sure with a lot of hard work and effort you could do better than mine :)
Image Attachments:
Size: 59.3 KB, Downloaded: 35 times, Dimensions: 643x886px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.9 In reply to 1748.8 
That's not bad!

That's definitely the general approach that I'd use - try to break things down into a few different features like the main head shape, ears, nose, and build those as separate objects and then boolean them together.

I think that one tip would be to try and avoid planar surfaces in general since those won't have a very soft and organic type feel to them. Like the nose there kind of stands out in your version there.

So that generally means using more like Sweep, Revolve/Rail revolve, or Network to build surfaces since those can build a more blobby type rounded shape easier without a planar end.

Here is one overview on how to build a kind of all rounded blobby shape using sweep: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=415.2

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.10 In reply to 1748.9 
Thanks for the link - I did not know you could "cut" the line like that (up to now I've always added a line first) or used sweep like that - right, that's it, no more playing 'till I've read the manual (or at least had a quick look) :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.11 In reply to 1748.1 
Hi Anis

I just had a go at your Giraffe and made it almost exclusively with the network command. I mucked up some bits though working too fast.

Micheal I noticed that when I imported it into Carrara and 3d- Coat that some of the polygons appear darker than others and in 3d-Coat they wont accept textures. Is this because the normals are reversed?

Keith
Image Attachments:
Size: 18.9 KB, Downloaded: 33 times, Dimensions: 640x480px
Size: 40.3 KB, Downloaded: 49 times, Dimensions: 467x544px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.12 In reply to 1748.11 
Hi Keith,

> Is this because the normals are reversed?

Could be... One thing to try is to make sure you have used Edit/Join to glue together individual surfaces at their common edges before exporting.

If you just have a bunch of totally separate surface objects all built by using Network for example, MoI does not know that they are supposed to be connected together with each other, so there is a possibility of each one getting exported with a different normal direction.

If you join them together, that will make MoI process them in a batch and keep all the orientations for the entire joined set consistent. It also helps ensure that the meshing is created in a consistent way along shared edges so that there are matching vertices there.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.13 In reply to 1748.12 
Thanks Michael
Your very patient, I think you have told me to join things properly before.
Keith
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.14 In reply to 1748.13 
Hi Keith, well it's an extra step and such things are always pretty easy to forget about, especially when it does not immediately look like anything is wrong.

I should probably just do it for you automatically... That's something that I will take a look at doing in the future.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.15 In reply to 1748.13 
By the way your giraffe turned out pretty good!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.16 In reply to 1748.3 
Hi Anis,

I used a combination of MoI's tools to make the dog model.

The paws are simple spheres which were *scaled to an approximate oval shape, then control point edited, using the Scaling tools and the Align and Move tools on pairs or groups of points. The head, nose, ears and tongue were also made by control point editing of spheres. A Network Surface was used to make the main body. A 2-rail Sweep would also have worked, but to be able to shape the contours of the body from all sides - front, back, left and right, a network surface seemed to offer more control. Sweeps were used for the limbs and tail. After all the components were constructed, I did a lot of scaling and nudging to position and proportion everything together. The parts were then Booleaned and fillets were applied to soften the seams.

I actually had to go back a few steps in my incrementally saved model and make some revisions after I discovered
the legs were too close together to work as a jewelry model. Here's the final version. As it happened, on this version,
I couldn't get the amount of filleting I wanted on the legs on one side, so I split the model down the middle, deleted
the troublesome side, then mirrored the successfully-filleted side over.

I'll try to do a basic version of your giraffe example later this week with some more details.

Thanks,

Jesse

Edit: Hi Michael, I just tried the frame-edit tool in the new MoI v2 Beta..it definitely makes control point editing easier!
Can it be used to move points as well as scale and rotate?

*Could you also explain how scaling the solid object rebuilds the amount of control points? It makes a big difference in terms of the potential of the object to remain smooth and workable, if that makes any sense. -JDK

EDITED: 15 Jul 2008 by JESSE

Image Attachments:
Size: 253.9 KB, Downloaded: 83 times, Dimensions: 1003x769px
Size: 250.3 KB, Downloaded: 92 times, Dimensions: 867x773px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.17 In reply to 1748.16 
>Can it be used to move points as well as scale and rotate?

Jesse,
Have you tried Petr's "Nudge" tool. It works great for this.

MoI resources-Petr's page. Dobre Je!

Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.18 In reply to 1748.17 
Hi Burr,

Thanks, I do use Petr's keyboard nudge tool, it's very good.

- Jesse
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.19 In reply to 1748.3 
Hi Anis,

For simplicity's sake, the detail isn't quite exact and I made the model symmetrical, even though the pictures show that it varies in shape from side to side. I set up the three images in the corresponding viewports to trace with curves. For the main section, I used a network surface. I modeled most of the other parts from spheres, editing groups of control points. If you turn on the control points on the jaw and ear parts you can get an idea of how the points are "sculpted". MoI's selection tools and display features make it possible to grab points and move them around. I used the align tool, the scaling and move tools and the new frame editing tool in the MoI v2 beta. If you have any specific questions, just ask... :-)

-Jesse

EDITED: 17 Jul 2008 by JESSE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1748.20 In reply to 1748.17 
>>Have you tried Petr's "Nudge" tool.

Those scripts on my webpage are mainly Michael's custom command / scripts. Mostly I cite author's name in parenthesis.

>>Dobre Je!

hehe... have you started learning Czech, Burr?

Petr

EDITED: 1 Aug 2008 by TYGLIK

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-27