V2 - Using the new handle to flatten control points
All  1-3  4-6

Previous
Next
1744.4 In reply to 1744.1 
Hi PaQ, quick note first on this:

> Apologize for the big video, I just downloaded camtasia, and
> I didn't learn how to use it yet.

That's not too terribly big, but the #1 way to shrink it down in size is to pick a lower frame rate.

This is on the 3rd screen when doing the "Produce video as.." option in Camtasia, just after when you pick the option to say you want to output a GIF.

Switch the "Frame rate:" option down to 5 (which still retains a fair amount of smoothness) or even 2 if it doesn't really have to be very smooth. Actually a lot of times you can still get the same amount of communication value with a frame rate of 2 but sometimes for more subtle things a rate of 5 is better.

Anyway, adjusting that can hugely reduce the amount of data stored.

It also really shrinks things a lot if you pick a somewhat smallish area to capture.

I also tend to set the Colors to 128 (fewer colors reduces size even more), and use a Fixed Palette with Dithered color reduction set. But this can be kind of touchy so you may not want to mess with this part.

Hit the preview button in the lower-left corner after adjusting any settings to see if they look ok, sometimes reducing the number of colors does not work very well and makes things too blotchy.

Thanks for generating that video, it is a very clear way to communicate what you are doing.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1744.5 In reply to 1744.4 
Hehe thanks for the tips, I will care about the framerate and the color depth for my next capture ;)

No problem for the video, my capture skill is much better than my english :o)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1744.6 In reply to 1744.1 
Hi PaQ, sorry it took me a while to get back to your message here, I'm running a bit behind.

> Btw I don't think the handle was made to flatten points, but
> it would be a great feature too.
> (need to add a magnet points when you reach the 0% scaling)

Yeah I had not thought about that particular thing before, but that definitely makes sense and I'm always looking to "get more with less", so it will be a great fit.

Right now it does not like to do the transform when it gets totally squished, which is what is causing the bug you show there, the frame is remaining compressed while the object pops back to its original state, so they are kind of out of sync at that point. That will get fixed up when I make flattening work.

I'm almost done setting this up, it will be in the next beta release.

It's called a "Flat" snap, it shows up as a snap point on that vertical or horizontal 1d-scaling indicator line thing.

You should generally avoid flattening things that will double-back on themselves though, like for instance if you flatten a circle it will actually work but that is kind of a nasty compressed and sort of doubled self-overlapping curve at that point so it isn't good to use it on stuff like that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-3  4-6