Revolve / Rail revolve

Next
Hi Michael, is it necessary to have an extra rail revolve command? I would prefer a button "Pick path curve" for regular revolve command UI (mainly due to "unwanted" expanding a revolve button to show a command subset). -Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1740.2 In reply to 1740.1 
Hi Petr, I think that should be feasible. I'll take a closer look at it in a bit.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1740.3 In reply to 1740.2 
Thanks Michael! It could be a part of tuning revolve command up like Steve asked before here - it means the setting start/end angles with the mouse. -Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

Sorry, I have another issue :)

Generating a shell object from revolved surface, in the file I attached, with "Centerline" direction option leads to unexpected result.

Petr
Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 10.7 KB, Downloaded: 17 times, Dimensions: 385x184px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1740.5 In reply to 1740.4 
Hi Petr, there tends to be some problems with offsets of objects that have singularities (collapsed edges) in them.

It's probably the biggest area of buggy-ness in offset and shell currently. I would definitely like to get it fixed up for v2, I'm not sure exactly when that will happen though, I might wait until after I apply the geometry library update to see if that helps solve this first.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1740.6 In reply to 1740.4 
Oh wait, I see what you are talking about there - the centerline is instead shoving off more to one side. I'll take a look tomorrow, that probably should not be too difficult to fix.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1740.7 In reply to 1740.6 
Yes Michael, I meant the centerline didn't go through the middle of object thickness. Just revolve & shell the original curve (arc) yourself. -Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1740.8 In reply to 1740.7 
Hi Petr, thanks for reporting this shelling problem and for posting the example file.

I have now fixed this up for the next beta release. I tracked it down to a bug in the geometry library involving spheres but just in the special case of a partial sphere with the surface normal pointing inwards towards the center of the sphere which is what you have in this case. The surface normal would get mistakenly flipped for this particular thing.

This is also related to some other changes in v2 that will examine surfaces when you open a file and see if they are primitives like a sphere, cone, or cylinder, and create the surface using a special analytic surface class if they are. That enables things like offsets and intersections to be special cased for these surfaces to generate more simple output geometry.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All