Can this be constructed as one object?

Next
I'm working on a 3D version of my company logo (file attached).

I have tried a few techniques to build this wave design, and settled on constructing it as two networks, then Union.

The result is fine and renders OK. But I'm still learning and wondering if it could be constructed as a single object. The lower "branch" seems to be the challenge.

I originally started with just an extrusion of the overall 2D shape and would be happy to just fillet the perimeter. However, due to the point of the "branch" I can't get a fillet.

The 2D illustration I'm using as a guide shows some beveling. I'm not trying to reproduce this feature. I'm just want rounded edges to pick up highlights for the render.

Any ideas are welcome.

Ed

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1714.2 In reply to 1714.1 
Hi Ed,

>>I originally started with just an extrusion of the overall 2D shape and would be happy to just fillet the perimeter. However, due to the point of the "branch" I can't get a fillet.

That is how I would first create such a shape, really to see if it was ok for what is needed. A rad can be placed around the edge, but is limited, as if the rads cross, you can lose the front face.

I did create the shape and placed a rad (built as you mention above), is that what you are looking for?

EDITED: 3 Aug 2009 by MANZ

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1714.3 In reply to 1714.2 
Yes manz - that is exactly what I was going after. You need to write the "MoI for Dummies" book!

I want to be certain how you produced the rad. Can you describe the steps? I assume you swept a single curve profile around the closed outline, then created the face?

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1714.4 In reply to 1714.3 
Hi Ed,

I just extruded the profile of the shape, then added a fillet.

When creating the profile use 2 continuous freeform (control point) curves, one for the top of the profile, and one for the bottom, make sure they connect at each end. Then select both curves and extrude. That will produce continuous surfaces on the top and bottom of the profile which will then allow filleting.

I have attached an example of the profile curves (I dont have the curves for the model I posted, so have just quickly made them again), just select them, extrude, then try different fillet sizes (start small under 1)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1714.5 In reply to 1714.3 
Hello again Ed,

I just noticed that the blend is not very good on the "branch" so I have split the control line at that branch endpoint which does give a better result. I have attached an example, but it was build quickly, so you will probably want to adjust the profile curves and extrude/fillet yourself.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1714.6 In reply to 1714.5 
Thanks again manz,

I got your example to work.

This was my original approach, except I was using just a single curve outline of my wave, extrude, then fillet. Fillet would fail due to the sharp point. I believe this is the issue Michael has illustrated a few times where the fillet diameter is bunching up and folding back on itself going around a tight turn.

So, it seems if multiple curves are used then larger fillet diameters work and they blend nicely where they overlap.

Very good. And, I learned a lot from using the network approach as well.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1714.7 In reply to 1714.6 
Ok I'm missing something here. Was trying to follow along and I keep rounding off my sharps.

Seems as though I need to break something or add points?

Sorry if it is so basic. Help when you have time.

Thanks,
Burr

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1714.8 In reply to 1714.7 
Sorry, Figured it out. "Cap Ends" unselected left my peice with no sides. Now can continue to follow.

Thanks,
Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1714.9 In reply to 1714.1 
Hi Ed,

>>The 2D illustration I'm using as a guide shows some beveling

I was curious if that could be easily created, so made some sweep surfaces.

I could then add a blend fillet on the top.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1714.10 In reply to 1714.9 
manz - you nailed it!

My experience so far has been building and slicing solids.

As far as constructing surfaces, it looks like you:

Selected 3 curves at a time. Joined two of them.
Swept the resulting two rails with a straight line profile.
Repeated the above for the remaining two surfaces.
Joined the three surfaces.
Fillet the center edges.

Is that the process?

Thanks again. A great learning experience.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Small is beautiful : simplicity is always the best :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1714.12 In reply to 1714.10 
Hi Ed,

>>My experience so far has been building and slicing solids.

You could build it by sweeping then boolean the swept surface from the extruded solid from profile. It can sometimes cause problems if the swept surface intersects itself within the solid, as that can cause failure. But as an example of creating that shape from slicing(boolean) from solid:-

We have the profile curves, I have the profile in 3 parts (which are for extruding the solid, and sweeping the surfaces to boolean), then have the profiles for the sweep positioned at the ends of the main profile.

Select the 3 main profile curves, and extrude to create the solid:-

I will first sweep along the top curve,.... so select the end downward facing sweep profile, and sweep along the top rail:-

Then boolean diff. The base object being the solid,... the object to subtract, the swept surface... You will only actually see the swept surface disappear when you boolean diff, that is because the surface that was used as boolean was open, so if you change view, you will be able to see that the solid as been sliced, you can then select the unwanted part and delete:-

Repeat that by sweeping the bottom 2 rails with the other end profiles and again boolean(slice) the solid, then delete the unwanted parts:-

If you where to instead just use surfaces, then you would sweep the profiles as you did above (sweep all 3), but rather than boolean them from a solid, you would use trim and trim away the unwanted surfaces.

Hope that helps, just ask if unsure or if I have not explained fully.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All