Work & Play ~ WIP

Next
Hi all,
I recieved this job, it's a dental product, a dental technician fills it with goop and takes an impression of your remaining teeth so a bridge can be manufactured.

So I was debating if I should tackle it in MoI, which I've been using for a few months or my regular app that I've been using for 6 years.
Well I decided MoI, and I'm glad I did, because it turned work into play, it was refreshing not waitng for the feature tree to update everytime I made a slight change.
I enjoyed this job very much.
There were a few challenges on the way but I was still learning the capabilities and work arounds in MoI, learnt alot and did it in good time as well.

Anyhow here's the result, I'll keep you all updated when the final product is injection moulded. I think the customer is going for ABS plastic for this and 3 sizes, and I'm not sure if they want a simple injection mould modeled in solid also,(still in discussion) I'll see if I can tackel some of that in MoI, or all.

Cheers
~Danny~
Image Attachments:
Size: 67.3 KB, Downloaded: 71 times, Dimensions: 749x486px
Size: 67.1 KB, Downloaded: 76 times, Dimensions: 749x486px
Size: 56 KB, Downloaded: 41 times, Dimensions: 749x486px
Size: 51.2 KB, Downloaded: 43 times, Dimensions: 749x486px
Size: 66.3 KB, Downloaded: 40 times, Dimensions: 749x486px
Size: 102.8 KB, Downloaded: 186 times, Dimensions: 800x452px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
That is very nice model, looks great! Don't you love the Moi program, it is a fresh breath of air when modeling. Keep it coming
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1703.3 In reply to 1703.1 
Hi DannyT

That was an interesting job.
Nice rendering, and nice model.

Is your regular app. SolidWorks?
Also, do you know the price of tooling for that thing?
I'm interested because i have a product idea which i think requires injection moulding.
My thing is a bit more complicated and a bit larger than yours, but i have considered draft angles and stuff so it should be sensible.

Regards
-Fredrik
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1703.4 In reply to 1703.1 
Hi Danny, that is an awesome result!

What would you say were some of the biggest things that you missed from your main solid modeling app while working in MoI? I can certainly guess some history tree editing like changing fillet radii later on, but what about stuff other than that?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks Guys,

Yes MoI is refreshing to model with Moe, it actually has a sort of addictive affect, I think Michael has some subliminal mind altering code in there somewhere ;)

Hi Fredrik,
>>is your regular app. SolidWorks?
No, Siemens NX4

>>Also, do you know the price of tooling for that thing?

Depends on where you get it made, Australia, US ,Europe = quality (most of the time), China for a low budget, but you must find a mouldmaker that appreciates quality, but as the quality goes up so does the price. It also depends on how many parts you intend to produce, you could get a quality mould that would produce parts for 3-5 years before any maintenance or you could get a mould that would last for 10-15 years without touching it, thats where the $$$ come into it.
If you have any more questions on this Fredrik you can PM me.

Hi Michael,
>>What would you say were some of the biggest things that you missed from your main solid modeling app while working in MoI?

It would probably vary from job to job, but for this particular model the main bother was when joining a closed network of surfaces, not knowing which was the offending surface that stopped the model from becoming a solid, so had to anylise the model in another app, did a sheet boundry analysis where it tells you how many boundries you have, 1= solid, more than that you have holes, then it highlights where surface boundries don't match or join, fortunatly for me it was only one surface which I rebuilt easily in MoI and everything was a solid again.

Next, I missed variable filleting, but got around that with network and then there is draft angles, you have to think a little more, for example, it would be nice to place all the holes in your model then apply the draft angle you need later, but it didn't take much longer to draw circle, then line at angle, then revolve and array or copy into positions then a boolean operation.
But If you had alot of ribs in your model it would be a painful process to draw lines at 1 or 2 deg and do boolean difference.
Other than that it was a joy to use on a paying job.

Cheers
~Danny~

EDITED: 21 Jun 2008 by DANTAS

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1703.6 In reply to 1703.5 
Thanks Danny

-good help for me those tips.
I'll send you pictures of my part.

-Fredrik
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Just an update,
The prototype has just been received, the yellow goop is the stuff the dental technician uses with this product to take dental impressions.
We are now in discussion about the plastic injection mould to mass produce the product.

I would of liked more pictures but this is all the customer sent me.

Cheers
~Danny~
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1703.8 In reply to 1703.7 
It is so cool to see shots like this running from the design on the computer to the final product, thanks for sharing it!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All