Wild idea for Moi upgrade.

Next
Think: Kai's Power Goo. Ooooh!

Perhaps, select portions could have Goo_like malleability. Hmmm. Just a fun thought. A dream? Perhaps, a programming nightmare?

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1686.2 In reply to 1686.1 
Hi Brent,

> Perhaps, a programming nightmare?

Unfortunately yes, more along these lines... The underlying methods that MoI uses for constructing objects work really well for things like booleans but not well for squishing things around like goo.

If you want more of a goo-squish type modeling feel you'll have to try out different programs than MoI that are based on other kinds of modeling principles. Like for example Silo (http://silo3d.com), or CB Model Pro (http://www.cbmodelpro.com/) - those are based on technologies that allow for more a more squish around type feel but of course the trade-off is that it is more difficult to build more exact forms over there.

MoI's modeling method is more focused on a kind of illustration or drawing type approach where you draw curves and use those curves to construct surfaces or cut objects to build your shapes.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Brent,

Another program that uses a similar way of creating the model is Digital Clay.
http://www.studio-pon.com/en/products/digitalclay/index.html

regards Colin
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1686.4 In reply to 1686.3 
http://www.3d-coat.com/

3D Coat is the most exciting/value for money 3D Paint/Displacement Paint programme about at the moment.

Everone is advised to think very deeply about it.
Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks guys. Sounds like some fun (and useful) things to look into.

-Brent
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1686.6 In reply to 1686.2 
Of course, Michael.

What I meant was that there are certain aspects that might nicely and also be handled on a more dynamically interactive level such as a pull, lengthen, widen etc. This appears to already be functional in Moi, such as by changing the shape of a line through point manipulation in use within certain functions. For example, within revolve when one manipulates the points after a shape is revolved, a new shape is instantly updated. I was thinking that certain aspects of a form could be adjusted "on the fly" so to speak, such as a Scale-transformation. Just an idea and food for thought, sharing for the sake of sharing.

-Brent
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1686.7 In reply to 1686.6 
Hi Brent - sorry I may have misinterpreted what you meant by the "Goo" reference.

I do want to make it possible to make more kinds of adjustments in the future, especially to be able to adjust some of the original curves that you drew, and have the results that were constructed from those curves get updated.

This is possible in basic situations right now like you noticed with the Revolve. I do want to enable this kind of editing through a longer chain of more operations in the future.

That will give you more opportunities for "adjustments", but it isn't exactly what I would normally call a really "Goo" like malleability though.

Those other programs are more focused really literally on tugging on small areas of surfaces to kind of work in a sculpting like manner kind of more like clay sculpting. MoI's methods are not like that, they're more like drawing instead of sculpting.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All