Trim Question
All  1-4  5-11

Previous
Next
1677.5 In reply to 1677.4 
Hi tyglik

I stand corrected.

I thought I had seen a post stating it was not possible. Where did you find that quote?
I have just looked through the command ref (that came with MoI) and I cannot find that quote. I did find a ref under "delete", which is why I missed it.

- manz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1677.6 In reply to 1677.5 
Hi Steve, it was a part of Sep-4-2006 beta announcement.. :) -Petr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1677.7 In reply to 1677.4 
ahhhhh !!! I knew it was possible for internal trims using the same method but......

Thx tyglik

Rgds,
--Paul--

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1677.8 In reply to 1677.1 
Hi Danny - I think you already have the answer to your original question, that you can use Delete to "untrim" a surface (and recover the underlying surface) if you have all the edge curves for a trim boundary selected.

Sometimes for this kind of "low level" object repair procedure you may also want to copy several of the edge curves to the clipboard first before doing the untrim, so that you can paste back in some that you want to keep the same to use for the next re-trim.

There is a tutorial that I did back a while ago here: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=446.17
which covers this kind of low level object repair techniques in some detail. That one was to repair a boolean that was done in a wrong location but not noticed until later on.

The basic procedure is to use Separate to break solids into individual surfaces, untrim surfaces, re-trim them, and use Join to glue things back together.

One thing to remember is to untrim you must select all the edges that make up the trim boundary - that means a full trimming loop not just one edge that is a portion of the trim loop.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1677.9 In reply to 1677.3 
Hi Paul,

> Yes, the surface is still there but if the trim curve is within the
> boundry you can select and untrim it but if
> it happens to run to the outer edges you are stuffed !!

I think you already figured this out, but to make sure - when a trim runs to the outer edges you can still remove it, but you must select all the edges for the entire loop, not just one.

So for example if you have this situation, don't select just this one edge:

Instead you must select all these edges for untrim:

It is on my list though to improve untrimming to make the first type of selection work though, I'm not sure yet when that will happen.

Also a shortcut can often be used to select all edges - first select one and then do Select/Select All (or Ctrl+A) - When select all sees that there is a partial edge selection it will go through and select all the other edges of a surface or solid.

One last note - when you have a closed surface like a cylinder for example, then the "seam" edge of the cylinder can also be part of the full trimming boundary loop so you sometimes have to select it as well to get the whole loop.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1677.10 In reply to 1677.9 
Thx Michael,

Yup figured it out now thx to tyglik, that would have saved me a few copy paste's hahaha

Hidden power we love it !

Rgds,
--Paul--

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Wow! that was easy, thanks guys, could of saved myself a couple of hours searching the forum before committing to post this question ;-(

>>There is a tutorial that I did back a while ago here:http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=446.17
which covers this kind of low level object repair techniques in some detail.

yeh, I did see this tut Michael but as the old saying goes 'a picture says..............'

Thanks Again
Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-4  5-11