Lazy Designer

Next
Hi Michael,
Is it possible/easy to have some math functions in the value input popup, +, -, * and / just for the convenience.
Only if everyone else thinks it to be handy.

~Danny~
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1670.2 In reply to 1670.1 
Hi Danny, definitely want to do that at some point - it will definitely be a really natural fit for that pop up panel to have that.

It's just not quite as easy as it would seem at first - even though that thing looks like a calculator it isn't really a calculator framework yet. That needs some additional logic for sequence of operations, etc... it's not just a matter of literally only adding in a button.

I was kind of thinking of keeping the panel pretty small by default with just the numbers and then have some kind of expander widget that would widen it or something to open up calculator functions.

Not quite sure when that will happen yet. It's actually already on the wishlist for keeping track of it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1670.3 In reply to 1670.2 
Ok, Thanks.

>>It's just not quite as easy as it would seem at first - even though that thing looks like a calculator it isn't really a calculator framework yet.
Not knowing alot about coding, I just thought it would just use the core function of MS calculator or something like that ??

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1670.4 In reply to 1670.2 
Is the calculator in-built with Windows not sufficient anyway?
Brian

EDITED: 31 Dec 2008 by BWTR

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1670.5 In reply to 1670.3 
Hi Danny,

> I just thought it would just use the core function of MS
> calculator or something like that ??

Unfortunately that's not really something that is set up in Windows to be easily re-used or leveraged by other programs.

It kind of takes extra work and planning to make something reusable, sort of the "default" is that programs are isolated from one another.

It's not like it is a super complicated thing to do, but I think it might be something like a day or two for me to get it done nicely.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1670.6 In reply to 1670.5 
Thanks for the explanation Michael, maybe I'm thinking Linux.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1670.7 In reply to 1670.4 
Hi Brian,
>>Is the calculator in-built with Windows not sufficient anyway?

Yeh that's what I use, but as this post heading says 'lazy designer'.
As a natural flow instead of dropping out of MoI and calculate something on MS calculator, then copy and paste the result back into MoI,
you could for example, say I wanted to make a box width 23.7mm, half the width for it's height and a third of the width for extrusion (if the value input had calc functions)
we could just type;
Height 23.7

Width 23.7/2

Extrusion 23.7/3

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1670.8 In reply to 1670.7 
Hi Danny, Michael,

I'm with you Danny on this one, I would also like to see this and the ability to do full calculations using the MoI calculator. Im getting used to the calculator as well as keyboard input
but this functionality would be IMO a valuable addition to the speed of MoI.

I hope it can be squuuuuueeeeeeezed in ?

Rgds,

Rgds,
--Paul--

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1670.9 In reply to 1670.8 
Hello Moiers,

Not completely off topic,

Is it actually a way to disable this calculator from the interface ?
I have the habit to enter numeric input with the num keyboard you know :P (and also the habit to be able to add -,+,/,* in the field as requested :))

I find the numeric input field a bit strange also, it's quite hard to replace a digit for example, as the whole input is always selected and every new input erase completely the actual one.

I suppose it was well study for the tablet user, but for no tablet user a more standard keyboard input behavior would be welcome to ... I guess :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1670.10 In reply to 1670.9 
Hi PaQ,

> Is it actually a way to disable this calculator from the interface ?

There is not currently any way to totally disable it, but if you push Esc or hit the X in the upper-right it will dismiss it and you will have regular keyboard focus in the edit field, you can then use arrow keys / delete / backspace to edit as normal.

> I have the habit to enter numeric input with the num keyboard
> you know :P <...>

You can still type numbers when that panel is open, they will enter in the same as if you clicked on buttons so just type with your num keyboard like you normally would - does that not work for you?

Actually for most of the time if you want to type in numbers, you can just do that without clicking anywhere first. Like for example if you are drawing a circle, and you want to have a radius of 5, just type in 5 <enter> directly without clicking, keyboard focus will automatically go to the radius edit box without the pop-up panel opening.

That tends to be the easiest way to avoid it opening and it also saves you a click at the same time.

> I find the numeric input field a bit strange also, it's quite hard to
> replace a digit for example, as the whole input is always selected
> and every new input erase completely the actual one.

Actually it only selects the whole input if you click inside of it - if you press down and drag inside of it you can do a sub-selection will will allow you to replace just a few digits. But you may find it easier to hit Esc or X and do arrow key editing instead in that situation.

I've added an entry to the wishlist to add in an option to disable the popup.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1670.11 In reply to 1670.10 
Hi Michael,

Yes I know I can close the calculator with the little cross, but as it open automatically the next input, I don't fight against it anymore :)

>You can still type numbers when that panel is open, they will enter in the same as if you clicked on buttons so just type with your num keyboard like you normally >would - does that not work for you?

Yes it works, it's just that I'm used to an other kind of field behavior (probably because of max) :

Double click in the field select the complete input, single click switch in 'edit' mode, where you can move in the field with the cursor keys, and easily replace, delete
the digit I want.

It's hard to describe, in MoI I always give up and retype the complete number, because I accidentally always select the complete field (short click).

And other point, if for example I start to enter a input with the calculator, and then I click on the field itself, Moi validate the input instead of letting me edit the field.

>Actually for most of the time if you want to type in numbers, you can just do that without clicking anywhere first. Like for example if you are drawing a circle, and >you want to have a radius of 5, just type in 5 <enter> directly without clicking, keyboard focus will automatically go to the radius edit box without the pop-up panel >opening.

That's super smart, I didn't know about that !!!!!! It will save me a lot of time finally :)

Thanks for you listening and thanks for the wish entry !
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All