Distance - Wish
All  1-5  6-15

Previous
Next
1661.6 In reply to 1661.5 
>> I wish that would happen more often! ;)

OK...Lets try this then ;-)

Is there a way yet to utilize a given button for LMB & RMB . For example I would like to see analyze point RMB on distance button, that
way no extra clutter but more functionality ?

Also, using coordinate input on current distance doesn't seem right ?. Click distance and pick a point on model in 3d space, then input for
example -20, -10 as a position..this ends up going into the distance tab. The calculator could be removed from the tabs as that adds to
confusion IMHO.

Ohhh and I dont think you have been asked this question yet(ha..ha) - when can us V1 owners have a play with V2 beta :-)) :-))

Rgds,
--Paul--

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1661.7 In reply to 1661.6 
Hi Paul,

> Is there a way yet to utilize a given button for LMB & RMB . For
> example I would like to see analyze point RMB on distance button,
> that way no extra clutter but more functionality ?

Do you mean for a distance button once there is a set of "Analyze" tools in the side pane?

Yes, it would be possible to add right-button clicks for things, but also I have tried to generally avoid that in a lot of cases, it can sometimes sort of make things a bit too hidden away. Sometimes that is ok if it is an "advanced" kind of feature, but if it is a pretty basic thing then it can not be good to have it too hidden. I'll see how that feels once I get a chance to work on the analyze tool set.

> Also, using coordinate input on current distance doesn't seem right ?.

Yeah, there isn't really a proper control yet for just displaying an value - instead that uses the control that is intended for entering a value, that's why it wants to take keyboard focus for instance, and put up the calculator input panel.

I've attached here an alternate version that doesn't do that, it isn't quite 100% the same as the proper "display" type control will be, but it won't eat the keyboard input like the previous version would so it won't interfere with inputting x,y,z point values.

This one may work better for you until I get a chance to do the full one.

> Ohhh and I dont think you have been asked this question yet(ha..ha)
> - when can us V1 owners have a play with V2 beta :-)) :-))

Pretty soon! :)

It has just taken a bit longer to finish up the on-surface drawing than I had thought, it has an impact on quite a lot of different drawing tools. It's going well but still just a bit longer before it is all wrapped up.

It is really hard to judge an exact schedule for this kind of work, sorry.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1661.8 In reply to 1661.7 
Hi Michael,

>> Do you mean for a distance button once there is a set of "Analyze" tools in the side pane?

No. I mean to Analyze a point on a model X,Y,Z can this be RMB on the existing distance button.
If tooltips were active (switchable in options) then it would be self explanatory?. Currently the only way to
find a position on the model is to fire up a cmd like line and then cancel it. I wasn't aware you had
any intentions for an analyze toolset actually....

>> I've attached here an alternate version that doesn't do that, it isn't quite 100% the same as the
>> proper "display" type control will be, but it won't eat the keyboard input like the previous version
>> would so it won't interfere with inputting x,y,z point values

Yup, works very well !! Thx Michael. This also makes Analyze point easier now i can input kboard.

>> It is really hard to judge an exact schedule for this kind of work, sorry.

The drawing on surfaces stuff is a real credit to you and your unique understanding of what people need.
I was just teasing about V2 - im sure when it hits our mailbox (will you email V1 owners or will it just be
posted up here to download from your site ?)

Have good weekend !

Rgds,
--Paul--

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1661.9 In reply to 1661.8 
Hi Paul,

> No. I mean to Analyze a point on a model X,Y,Z can this
> be RMB on the existing distance button.

In the default V1 UI, there actually isn't a distance button... Did you customize the UI to add one?

It is possible to write a script handler for a button press, and in that script handler it is possible to see if it was the right mouse button that was clicked or not, and to make the script do different things depending on that.

You have to edit the .htm file for the UI in notepad to make that though, let me know if you want some more details.

But yeah for v2 I want to have a bigger set of analyze tools, currently the plan is to have a whole palette named "Analyze" on the side pane, same as "Draw curve", "Construct", etc... It will be collapsed by default so I'm not too worried about clutter in there.

> If tooltips were active (switchable in options) then it would be self explanatory?.

That's another thing I've tried really hard to avoid - instead of having any tooltips I try to incorporate the text built into the UI right at the top so you can immediately see what things do instead of needing to hover over every button to see what it does... Having the tooltips kind of "baked in" like this really helps to increase the browsability of the UI.

> (will you email V1 owners or will it just be
> posted up here to download from your site ?)

The announcement for it will probably just be posted here.

- Michael

EDITED: 13 Jun 2008 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1661.10 In reply to 1661.8 
Hi Paul,

> The drawing on surfaces stuff is a real credit to you and your
> unique understanding of what people need.

Thanks!

I had actually originally thought it was going to be too difficult to make this happen for v2 at all, because I had thought it would need a lot of modifications to individual commands.

But actually it turned out that I had things set up in a flexible enough way so that I did not have to modify all the commands individually to make it happen. Some of the early software architectural decisions are kind of paying off pretty well now.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1661.11 In reply to 1661.9 
Hi Michael - Yeah sorry I forgot that part...im using -ash- UI actually and not the original.

I am not familiar with scripting and customisation (I wish I had time) so I will gladly wait until such time
they are added in the betas.

Rgds,
--Paul--

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1661.12 In reply to 1661.11 
I'm sure this is somewhere in the forum but couldn't find it. Is there a way to change the number of significant digits for this script. It is only showing two right now.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1661.13 In reply to 1661.12 
Yes, there is a post by Burrman.

I did it a couple of days ago, with 10 or 12

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2254.2

The little window needs to be enlarges, it only shows 8 digits.

EDITED: 5 Jan 2012 by BEMFARMER

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1661.14 In reply to 1661.13 
May have overdone a bit.
For 12 digits,
and 11em

EDITED: 27 Mar 2012 by BEMFARMER

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1661.15 In reply to 1661.14 
thanks brian,

i will give it a spin. i did it the hard way thus far. gonna post in a minute. this script should make it a lot easier going forward.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-5  6-15