CNC Manufacturing
All  1-8  9-12

Previous
Next
1658.9 In reply to 1658.8 
Hi Bruce,

>> Think Gehry (custom software), La Sagrada Familia (Rhino), SHoP architects (whatever they can get their hands on).

Ok, I understand and I don't. I Googled all of the above and see where you're coming from now, the thing I don't understand is where does the CNC part come into it, is this for the manufacture of client scale models ?

Do you mean CNC as in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Aided_Manufacture ......CAM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-aided_design .......CAD

Just in case we're getting our terminology mixed up.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1658.10 In reply to 1658.8 
Hi Bruce, from your description I would think that Rhino would be your best bet, as far as I can tell it is the most widely used thing for that sort of stuff in architecture where you want more unconventional or free flowing type forms, but also tools and plug-ins for helping with the manufacturing side of things.

The Gehry software is another choice I think that targets the entire workflow of custom shaping + buildability, I don't doubt that it would work well but I believe that it is very expensive.

Rhino is very inexpensive in comparison which tends to make it a lot easier to adopt.

MoI is a lot less expensive even yet, I mean so much so that it basically borders on being free in comparison to any of the other tools that you would use. So that makes it a pretty darn easy thing to adopt as a helper tool no matter which way you go in the end. MoI can create the same kind of NURBS geometry as Rhino and even uses the same file format, so it is something that works very easily in combination with Rhino.

It will be difficult for you to do only MoI and nothing else, because MoI does not currently have an extended ecosystem around it with custom manufacturing/paneling plugins, unwrapping-developable surfaces stuff, things like that which Rhino does have.

Your local CNC guy that recommends SolidWorks is likely used to making mechanical parts, which SolidWorks is often a better choice for than Rhino. But that does not line up with what it sounds like you want to do.

So I'd say focus on Rhino, and if you like the feel of drawing in MoI, just throw that in alongside of it and use a Rhino + MoI combination, you can actually copy and paste back and forth between them.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1658.11 In reply to 1658.10 
Excellent - thank you very much for your time and input. This is precisely the sort of info I was after. Your recommendation sounds like the one I'd like to push (cause MoI is too much fun).

Thanks again.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1658.12 In reply to 1658.11 
Hi Bruce. As Micheal suggested, many people like to use MoI in conjunction with Rhino because of easy data swapping. Another thing to consider is that Rhino is developing many tools which are well-suited for architecture :

Explicit History (graphical node-based scripting, can drive parametric models)
Paneling (parametric paneling of surfaces and polysurfaces)
Archcut (parametric Floorplate and Building Sectioning)
VisualArq (parametric floorplan and 3D architectural modeler)
Flattening aka "Squish" (flattens double-curved surfaces into 2D patterns for manufacturing)

More info can be found on the Rhino Labs page:
http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/RhinoHomeLabs.html

This is all in very early development, so it will not be a replacement for something like Revit. But it is something to watch in the future. And you can use all of those tools now (in open beta). Also there is the huge price difference between these packages which make it very easy to outfit many users with MoI and Rhino:

MoI = $195
Rhino = $800
Revit Architecture = $5,500

jonah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All