CNC Manufacturing

Next
I'm looking at software for work that will serve as a link to CNC manufacturing. I've been told Solid Works is a good one, but I was wondering what MoI offered in this area?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1658.2 In reply to 1658.1 
Hello Bruce,

We use MoI in conjunction with another app to make surfaces solids for Mold&Die work.

I would recommend MoI to anyone....I also get the feeling V2 will be another success!

.......book early to avoid dissapointment :-))

Rgds,
--Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1658.3 In reply to 1658.1 
Hi Bruce - MoI is focused on the initial drawing and model creation type of stuff.

Your model data can then be exported for use in a CAM program, the CAM program will then usually be the part that interfaces more directly with the CNC, that's where the stuff like cutting toolpaths are calculated.

So MoI is kind of one step in the process for CNC (basically the earliest step where you actually create the model).

But MoI does export model data to the STL, IGS, and 3DM formats which are the file types that those CAM programs can consume, so it works well to use MoI for CNC type work, it just isn't a complete "all in one" package for doing both model creation as well as toolpath calculation.

There are quite a few people using MoI as part of their CNC work... Let me know if you need more information!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1658.4 In reply to 1658.3 
I would love some more information. Not sure how to word this succinctly, but our company is at the point of deciding which high end modelling package we're going to invest in. It needs to have the crucial focus of complex modelling, with easy connection to CNC/CAM. We're going to have a site tour of the local CNC guy on Wednesday, and he swears by SolidWorks (says that Rhino is a child's plaything). I don't want to advise the powers that be without some good information.

From what I understand, and briefly seen, MoI is quite similar to Rhino (which would make sense, given your background) - and I've been really impressed with MoI and feel that to get on board at this early stage would really be a benefit for us.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. BTW - our field is architecture.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1658.5 In reply to 1658.4 
Hi Bruce,

>>BTW - our field is architecture.

This statement threw me right off, could you please explain the connetion between the type of manufacturing required and architecture?
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1658.6 In reply to 1658.4 
Hi Bruce, well SolidWorks is used most often for mechanical part design and for manufactured parts like injection molded plastics, stuff like that. It's really oriented towards that field of work.

It will probably be a rather awkward fit for using in a totally different field like architecture. I'm sure it would be possible, just maybe not a very smooth fit.

MoI is pretty similar to Rhino in general, but Rhino is a more mature program and has a lot more functions in it - however the flip side of that is it is a lot more difficult to use as well. If you wanted to use MoI or Rhino you might consider not picking exclusively one or the other but using both in combination - that would let you do simple things more easily in MoI and use Rhino for a bunch of other functions that MoI does not do yet. MoI and Rhino use the same file format so it is easy to share data back and forth between them.

But I'm not sure that I completely understand your situation - do you mainly already have 3D model data made in SketchUp that you now want to bring to CNC? Or are you interested in whole new system of modeling + CNC milling the results of that?

I mean really the #1 thing that comes to mind is that you might want to look at a 3D architecture program like Revit for example.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1658.7 In reply to 1658.4 
Hello Bruce,

If you are talking about 'high end' packages then I do not consider MoI to be in that category, however MoI
is 'high intelligent' and very capable which at V1 is incredible and shows huge potential !

SW is a good system and one of the high end systems you talk about. Your friends comment about Rhino is
quite frankly bullsh**t and he clearly isn't that bright....Rhino is not 'high end' but it is an amazing system in
the right hands we use it to good effect for Mold&Die but we also now use MoI not only for it's ease of use
but in some cases it's quality of surfaces :-)

>> and I've been really impressed with MoI and feel that to get on board at this early stage would really
be a benefit for us.

I would agree 100% here that is why we have bought into MoI and plan to purchase another seat in the
not so distant future.......sounds like an easy decision ?

Good luck.
--Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1658.8 In reply to 1658.7 
I thought the architecture connection might raise a bit of confusion. Let me explain...

We are currently set up with AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, SketchUp, Vectorworks (but will ditch it) and are gearing up to get Revit going. Your standard architecture - design & documentation isn't a problem for us.

However, we really want to focus on complex geometry and cutting-edge technology-driven forms in our practice; as well as changing the way architecture is 'done' - i.e. prefabbing custom parts for ease of assembly. This is a new...but not that new...concept. Every other modern day manufacturing process utilises technology to break new territory, as well as improving accuracy, ease of construction and increasing efficiency - except architecture. It is a common thread of dissertation in the profession, and we are going to do something about it.

That's where 'high end' (by that I mean having the ability to manufacture what you imagine with as close to nil limitations as possible) software comes into it. The general market architecture packages just don't cut it (hah - get it?) in this regard. Think Gehry (custom software), La Sagrada Familia (Rhino), SHoP architects (whatever they can get their hands on).

I hope this clears things up a bit.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1658.9 In reply to 1658.8 
Hi Bruce,

>> Think Gehry (custom software), La Sagrada Familia (Rhino), SHoP architects (whatever they can get their hands on).

Ok, I understand and I don't. I Googled all of the above and see where you're coming from now, the thing I don't understand is where does the CNC part come into it, is this for the manufacture of client scale models ?

Do you mean CNC as in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Aided_Manufacture ......CAM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-aided_design .......CAD

Just in case we're getting our terminology mixed up.

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1658.10 In reply to 1658.8 
Hi Bruce, from your description I would think that Rhino would be your best bet, as far as I can tell it is the most widely used thing for that sort of stuff in architecture where you want more unconventional or free flowing type forms, but also tools and plug-ins for helping with the manufacturing side of things.

The Gehry software is another choice I think that targets the entire workflow of custom shaping + buildability, I don't doubt that it would work well but I believe that it is very expensive.

Rhino is very inexpensive in comparison which tends to make it a lot easier to adopt.

MoI is a lot less expensive even yet, I mean so much so that it basically borders on being free in comparison to any of the other tools that you would use. So that makes it a pretty darn easy thing to adopt as a helper tool no matter which way you go in the end. MoI can create the same kind of NURBS geometry as Rhino and even uses the same file format, so it is something that works very easily in combination with Rhino.

It will be difficult for you to do only MoI and nothing else, because MoI does not currently have an extended ecosystem around it with custom manufacturing/paneling plugins, unwrapping-developable surfaces stuff, things like that which Rhino does have.

Your local CNC guy that recommends SolidWorks is likely used to making mechanical parts, which SolidWorks is often a better choice for than Rhino. But that does not line up with what it sounds like you want to do.

So I'd say focus on Rhino, and if you like the feel of drawing in MoI, just throw that in alongside of it and use a Rhino + MoI combination, you can actually copy and paste back and forth between them.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1658.11 In reply to 1658.10 
Excellent - thank you very much for your time and input. This is precisely the sort of info I was after. Your recommendation sounds like the one I'd like to push (cause MoI is too much fun).

Thanks again.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1658.12 In reply to 1658.11 
Hi Bruce. As Micheal suggested, many people like to use MoI in conjunction with Rhino because of easy data swapping. Another thing to consider is that Rhino is developing many tools which are well-suited for architecture :

Explicit History (graphical node-based scripting, can drive parametric models)
Paneling (parametric paneling of surfaces and polysurfaces)
Archcut (parametric Floorplate and Building Sectioning)
VisualArq (parametric floorplan and 3D architectural modeler)
Flattening aka "Squish" (flattens double-curved surfaces into 2D patterns for manufacturing)

More info can be found on the Rhino Labs page:
http://en.wiki.mcneel.com/default.aspx/McNeel/RhinoHomeLabs.html

This is all in very early development, so it will not be a replacement for something like Revit. But it is something to watch in the future. And you can use all of those tools now (in open beta). Also there is the huge price difference between these packages which make it very easy to outfit many users with MoI and Rhino:

MoI = $195
Rhino = $800
Revit Architecture = $5,500

jonah
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All