Question : Failed fillet
All  1-6  7-11

Previous
Next
1640.7 In reply to 1640.6 
Hi Keith, it is really difficult to give you a good answer by just looking at a screenshot, can you please post the model file or send it to me at moi@moi3d.com?

My best guess from looking at the screenshot would be that possibly your straight section and your curved section may not be meeting each other in a completely tangent/smooth type way.

When surfaces like that meet at a very shallow creased angle, it tends to make things really difficult for the filleter to do some of the offset + intersection calculations. That may be why it is crunching away for a long time, but it is hard to say without being able to examine the model more closely.

It also may be difficult for the filleter to handle the corners along the sides of doing just that particular edge instead of the whole set of edges along that entire face.

You may also need to use a pretty small radius, there does not look like there is very much room there for the fillet to fit, try using something like 0.01 units and see if that works or not.

Another thing you can do if the edge filleter is unable to finish is to break your model apart into surfaces by using Edit/Separate and then create fillets by selecting 2 surfaces at a time and running Fillet - that will do a surface/surface fillet calculation instead of an edge-based one, it will tend to work to create a fillet surface where the edge one got confused due to difficulty in processing corner junctures. However, you will have to then trim and fill in corners yourself with that method.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1640.8 In reply to 1640.7 
Hi Michael
Thanks for answering so promptly, its late here in the uk so will look through your reply properly tomorrow.
Keith
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1640.9 In reply to 1640.8 
Hi Keith,

If you would, please post the model. I have been creating models the best I can from the view you post and dont see a problem. It may be just the view and I am not building the same, or it may be an error in your model, but it is hard to say.

In the UK, I am in Lancashire.

- manz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1640.10 In reply to 1640.9 
Hi Manz and Micheal

Here is the model. After some fiddling I did manage to fillet the bit I posted about but I still can't fillet the portion behind where the cylinder head is to be fitted (top middle).
Keith
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1640.11 In reply to 1640.10 
Hi Keith,

> but I still can't fillet the portion behind where the cylinder head is to
> be fitted (top middle).

I'm not quite sure of the area you're referring to, is it this one here:

That's certainly going to be difficult to fillet - not only is there not much space in the flat part, but since the rounded part on top is flush with the side wall below it, it causes a kind of "vanishing fillet" type situation where the fillet would kind of narrow down to a single point, those are not handled very well by the filleter right now.

It will probably require some pretty low-level and pretty involved individual surface manipulation to finish up that part, the more "automatic" edge filleter is not able to handle that area. I can try to help you with that some more tomorrow if you want, but I want to make sure of the area you want to have filleted first.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-6  7-11