Off Topic (sort of) LWCAD 3...
All  1  2-6

Previous
Next
1639.2 In reply to 1639.1 
Hi Will, it is definitely an less intensive calculation process working with polygons rather than NURBS. The whole process of calculating a smooth intersection curve between 2 curved surfaces is pretty involved.

I am hoping to support a deeper history function in the future, which should generally allow you to do things like edit shapes and have boolean results update in response to your edits, stuff like that. But I want to make it a very general purpose mechanism that handles all kinds of modeling functions, not something that is just specifically baked into just boolean commands and nothing else.

It will probably take me longer to make that kind of fully general mechanism, but I think it will pay off a lot more in the end.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1639.3 In reply to 1639.1 
Hi Will,

Looking at those vids, it looks similar to the "Dynamic Geometry" currently in Hexagon.

- manz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1639.4 In reply to 1639.3 
Daz has dropped the ball with Hex so bad, I haven't bothered to reinstall it!

They then added salt to the wound by breaking the shortcut keys for changing the SubD levels and adding "sculpty" stuff for Second Life (whatever that is...)

Of course MOI is the tool I enjoy modeling with the most for getting concepts and forms out quickly so I can't help but wish tools like that were slated for it...

Still waiting for Newtek to give Modeler some love - LWCAD is the only tool that makes Modeler's outdated UI usable for me (well that and VertiBevel) - I just find myself using Silo the most when I'm at the poly level which lacks LW's precision when doing mechanical models.

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1639.5 In reply to 1639.4 
Hi Will,

>>Daz has dropped the ball with Hex so bad, I haven't bothered to reinstall it!

I am no great supporter of Hexagon (although I do use the software now and again), I was just giving a comparison to what I viewed on the vids.

>>They then added salt to the wound by breaking the shortcut keys for changing the SubD levels and adding "sculpty" stuff for Second Life (whatever that is...)

I looked at the latest version of Hexagon (2.5) but simply went back to 2.2.
The "second life" I do not know, simply because I have not tried to find info, but would say, I have no interest at this time, and would prefer a way to remove that tab in 2.5

>>Of course MOI is the tool I enjoy modeling with the most for getting concepts and forms out quickly so I can't help but wish tools like that were slated for it...

I do model more with hard surface, so MoI to me is what I want, but there will always be a "Could it do more" type of concept from me,.. really more a fact I would like MoI to go a lot further into the CG community.

- manz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Well the realtime booleans are part of the realtime Truespace engine for
the new beta update od 7.6 too !
See realtime boolean from Roman Ormandy (Caligari)
http://forums1.caligari.com/truespace/showthread.php?t=893
Work pretty nicely !
Peter
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-6