Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1629.5 In reply to 1629.4 
Hi Paolo,

Certainly off topic, but am curious as to what you mean?

Do you mean found bugs in MoI and how to avoid/workaround? or do you mean ways to construct better with NURBS?

- manz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1629.6 In reply to 1629.5 
Hi manz,

Sometimes when i use Sweep or Network i get
unexpected results

Sometimes it may be a bug but in most cases it's
my poor experience whith nurbs

I do a lot of experimenting and i just want to
know how far i can go pushing the limits of
Nurbs curves

In most galleries you see only the finished job
witch doesn't tell me anything how it is done.

So if i could see some bad experience from other
designers,i would learn from that
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1629.7 In reply to 1629.6 
you can also post some little examples with the 3dm files zipped of your problems, so we can help you
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1629.8 In reply to 1629.2 
Another category: boats or ships, I think

Bye
David
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1629.9 In reply to 1629.6 
Hi Paolo,

>>Sometimes when i use Sweep or Network i get unexpected results

It can be a complicated area, so as mentioned, if you have a model/example, then please post. Or, if you see a model that you have specific questions, then please ask, I am sure questions will be answered, just a need for those questions to be asked.
I think I do now understand the various limits within MoI and I am certainly willing to help where I can.

- manz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
A little note about the gallery quality :

I think we (you Michael) should raise up the gallery quality a little bit. Actually there are 3 kind of images : Nice models and nice rendering of them ... nice models but so so rendering ... and some really low quality models.

And I'm saying that with all respect to the owners, I understand that we don't have the same skills, the same background ... some of us are hobbyist, and that's great.

But, I think that Moi gallery is also very important, it's a showcase of the product quality ... so some selection has to be made about the quality.

Maybe you should also give some rules, as there is not render engine in Moi, a top quality wireframe is more important that a hyper realistic rendering.
There is a script for creating hires viewport image that will probably help ... it will give something more 'uniform' and constant (same resolution, no gui)

After that extra rendering images are joined, and showed on the gallery depending of the image quality.

I can understand this selection is not an easy task, as it might frustrate some users ...

Cheers
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1629.11 In reply to 1629.10 
I agree with PaQ. I would want to showcase only the best examples for potential customers.

The Hypershot site (and I believe other render sites) have two galleries:

One is in the forum section (Gallery section) where anyone may post their work and receive comments.

The main gallery is reached from a hyperlink on the home page. It contains examples produced by the company, as well as quality examples from customers the company has selected.

I think this is a good approach. The company shows their product's capabilities in one section using the best examples, while novice users (like me) can show their work in another section and get advice.

Ed

EDITED: 26 May 2008 by ED

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1629.12 In reply to 1629.10 
Hi PaQ - re: Gallery quality selection ...

It's kind of a tough call - I mean one of the biggest focuses of MoI itself is to make it easy to do simple objects really quickly and without a lot of time spent learning the tool. So in a certain sense, having basic stuff in the gallery can kind of reflect this really key thing about MoI.

But yeah, on the other hand it is probably better for marketing purposes to have the most impressive and detailed stuff more prominently displayed.

What I had been thinking of originally was when I broke things into different categories, I would probably only assign the nicest things into a particular category but still just leave everything else up there in "Recent additions" or an "All" category.

That way some of the particular labeled categories like "Industrial Design" will be a showcase of particularly nice Industrial Design examples.

I think this kind of hybrid approach (with some special "showcase" categories) might give a blend of both informal stuff (which I personally really like to see, I would hate to eliminate those entirely) as well as making more refined stuff displayed more prominently to someone new who is just browsing the site for the first time.

re: rules - I don't really want to make a bunch of rules, I'm afraid that more rules may put people off from submitting stuff and I would rather have more submissions rather than a smaller amount of more strictly uniform things. But I did try to encourage submission of wire-frames and screenshots on the submission page.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Guys, I tend to agree with Michael.
MoI is a modeling package, you're comparing it with rendering packages which produce final 'pretty' pictures.
In regards to these rendering sites I can't find any details of what modeling package was used, I think we're comparing apples with bananas here.
I went and had a look at other modeling packages and they do have final 'pretty' pictures but mainly screen dumps of the interface with the 'raw' model.

my thoughts

~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
ah !
The question about quality....
Well thats not that easy!
I submitted some very easy made lenses some time ago..... on top of some other
While they are easy to make they are good examples of how well
the meshes render when used physicaly accurate!!!!
So what would be the method of choice ?
Complexity of the mesh or quality of the exporter ?
What should it showcase ... you as an artist or Moi 3d as a product ?!
Peter
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1629.15 In reply to 1629.14 
I probably won't sort through this gallery update until after the first v2 beta is out though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Having strict rules for gallery submissions would probably be a bad idea and cause people to not submit their creations because the rules scare them away. But some basic guidelines are always welcome :)

And perhaps also have two main sections of the gallery where one contains images/screenshots selected by Michael himself. And another user submitted gallery where all users no matter their skill level can submit both highquality and beginner creations, screenshots from Moi and such things. Although this gallery need some cleaning up from time to time to keep out the stuff that shows nothing.

Ofcourse categories such as jewelrydesign, archviz, product viz and other big categories like that would be nice but having them would most likely require more time maintaining them by Michael which is valuable time he could spend elsewhere.

That's how i would set it up :)

/ Magnus
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1629.17 In reply to 1629.16 
I don't know if this is possible, but I'd love to see the ability to comment to gallery submissions. That way, when you see a great model or technique, you could comment right under the submission. Not everything that is posted in the gallery is easily found in the forum.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1629.19 In reply to 1629.17 
Hi Phil, it's not horribly difficult to do that, but it would still take some amount of custom web site development work to add a commenting mechanism. That would mean postponing some of the v2 beta work that I'm currently doing to switch focus to that.

For the moment I'm putting a higher priority on getting some of the v2 beta work done, so new gallery mechanisms (other than categorization which I did build in originally but just not turned on yet) will probably have to wait for a bit.

It's easier for sites to do this when they have a web developer that is dedicated to working on web site improvements as their full time job. For me it is a very "part time" type thing.

But if you have any comments on a specific item or want to discuss something in particular, you can certainly start up a new forum topic about that and include a link to the gallery item in the forum post. That is one way that you can get some comments and discussion going if you would like.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-3  4-19