Simple Shell

Next
Hi,

I have a number of questions now starting with shelling.

Shelling seems to fail very easily...see attached image the two models top & bottom where
shelled in another application when im sure it should be possible in MoI ?

Rhino does not have shelling (yet...V5) so it would be a marvelous advantage to have it
working better ?

Any plans Michael
--Paul
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1624.2 In reply to 1624.1 
Hi Paul, well it's not really totally up to me - I get the shelling function from the geometry library that I license.

I have noticed that there are some particular bugs involving offsets of surfaces that have a "pole" point in them (where one surface edge is collapsed down to a single point) - that's the part that is going wrong in this case. So far most of the basic shelling problems I have seen seem to involve that particular bug. Hopefully if I can fix that one bug it should tune up basic shelling to work quite a bit better.

If you have shapes without those kinds of poles in them, you'll probably see basic shelling work pretty well.

I doubt that it will ever really get to the same level of sophistication as stuff like Pro/E or SolidWorks, but I'll probably be able to get basic stuff like your example here working better.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1624.3 In reply to 1624.2 
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply.

Even just creating a rectangular extrusion with a 5mm radius on the corners, then trying to shell 6/7mm fails when
most other systems manage that ?

I for one would be very grateful for any improvements you can make.

TIA
--Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1624.4 In reply to 1624.3 
Hi Paul - that new one you mention involves surfaces being totally consumed during the offset. That tends to be a pretty complex area, I would not consider any kind of self-intersection or surface consuming type scenarios to fit in the "simple shell" category, sorry.... I don't have a whole lot of optimism that such things will happen anytime soon.

If you need more robust shelling with stuff like consumed surfaces / interfering offsets, stuff like that, it is not likely that MoI is going to do those jobs for you. You'll need to use something Pro/E, SolidWorks, etc... for that kind of stuff. That's not going to change anytime soon.

But I do think that it will be possible to get non-interfering and non-consuming situations to work better though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1624.5 In reply to 1624.4 
Cheers Michael,

I didnt mean it was simple for this to get done or calculate.....it's just our other modeler goes a lot lot further than this.

>>But I do think that it will be possible to get non-interfering and non-consuming situations to work better though.

Well, that would be great if you can tune it up some more - thanks!!

Would you happen to know what Cad product deals with shelling Surfs/Solids the best ?

EDITED: 23 May 2008 by KARTER

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1624.6 In reply to 1624.5 
Hi Paul,

> Would you happen to know what Cad product deals
> with shelling Surfs/Solids the best ?

I don't really know for sure, but my guess would be either Pro/E or SolidWorks.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
That's right Michael, I think any modeling package that uses the parasolid kernel is strong in this area, If you do a lot of shelling that's fine, if not, there is always a workaround in MoI to get the same result.

~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1624.8 In reply to 1624.7 
Thanks Michael / DannyT - Some of our mould cavities and quite complex and shelling can be a big problem sometimes....and
would be almost impossible to workaround in MoI (at the moment at might add)

I will do more investigation...in the meantime im going to buy MoI now :-)

Cheers,
--Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All