Hide Button

Next
I am not getting it....

I have a bunch of objects. I select one. I press the hide key. It vanishes. Good! I press the hide key again. It toggles and I see only the object I hid. Good! Now a menu option is there offering to select the visible objects or press DONE to see all. Regardless what I select, the option pop up forces me to select DONE to continue thus making it impossible for me to work with the only selected object.... Sighhhhh. Where am I going wrong?
Lemo
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1619.2 In reply to 1619.1 
Hi Lemo ;)
try this script of hide "Inverse selection" ;)
Put this (all the ligne) in the second column of the script data base and maybe "H" as shortcut :)
script:moi.geometryDatabase.invertSelection(); moi.geometryDatabase.hide(); moi.geometryDatabase.selectAll();
I believe that will make your dreams in colors :)

EDITED: 19 May 2008 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1619.3 In reply to 1619.1 
Hi Lemo - what is your final goal here, is it to hide everything else except that one object that you selected?

If so, then Hide does not do that directly, but you can set up a keyboard shortcut that will do that. To do that, go to Options / Shortcut keys, and set up a new entry with this as the command:
code:
script:moi.geometryDatabase.invertSelection(); moi.geometryDatabase.hide(true);

Now when you push that shortcut key, everything other than your selection will be hidden. It's kind of like an "Isolate selection" type operation.

The regular "Hide" does not focus on producing that effect - when you go to show objects, the regular version keeps all currently visible objects as visible when you complete the operation. They will disappear during one stage, to make it easier for you to pick which of the hidden objects you want to show, but that is only temporary they all come back when you are done.

Here is another post with a more step-by-step explanation of how showing objects works, it might help clarify: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1319.4

But basically, if you want to hide everything else except for your selection you need to use the above keyboard shortcut for that instead of the regular Hide/show.

Please let me know if this still doesn't make sense.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1619.4 In reply to 1619.3 
Awesome. Inverting the selection was all I need. I am building a machine part and used MOI to design it. It has a few components and they constantly get into the way of snapping. So I use hiding a LOT. Now I can select, invert, then move the bugger, and all is good. I'll post a few images once the part is machined. My mill is already spitting Aluminium.
Lemo
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Here's the project. I am actually building this right now.

Lemo
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1619.6 In reply to 1619.5 
What is this curious engine?
An automatic weld gaz pipeline? ;)

EDITED: 20 May 2008 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1619.7 In reply to 1619.5 
Looks interesting Lemo!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1619.8 In reply to 1619.5 
Hi Lemo,
Just curious, are you modeling all the standard parts ie: screws, couplings etc in MoI or are you grabbing them from one of the online 3d libraries ?

Cheers
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
It's a gear box. I am building a larger CNC machine. The one I build is not big enough any longer...
With that larger motors come along. For the heavy axis I use two motors in union. One runs right and the other left.
In the middle is a pulley. Which uses a timing belt to drive the larger Pulley. With the 1:3 ratio the RPM are in the speed range of the machine and the torque is tripled as well. One cannot have enough torque! More when the bugger is running.

I made all parts myself. The screws are available as Library. But I have many in my shop and I am not sure if they are fitting the model. So I make them myself. Screw takes about 30 seconds to make and the coupli9ng a minute. Being lazy... I neglect the thread on the screws. It is more important for me to see how long they protrude in the work piece so I can instantly see if two or more screws would 'hit' each other in the middle. That would be a bad surprise after milling all the parts and then having to figure out that some element cannot be fastened, screws have to be cut, and all becomes a sea of pain.

The Machines i use to make the parts are pre WWII machines (early thirties) ... Once in a while they need a kick and a tweak, but in general they behave better than the cheap modern copy from China.

Cheers
Lemo
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All