Combined Curve Projection

Next
This is not a critical situation, but would eliminate some steps. Refer to picture attached.
Firstly I'd like to combine curve 1 and 2 to create the 3d composite curve 3, at the moment I use boolean intersect then copy the edge of the resultant edge to get my curve. Just wondering (Michael) if there could be a simpler way, a script maybe which will do it in one step without having to delete surfaces afterwards ?
There is a number of ways I can do this using extrude then intersect curve or boolean merge works as well.

Cheers
~Danny~
Image Attachments:
Size: 147.5 KB, Downloaded: 96 times, Dimensions: 1007x782px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1616.2 In reply to 1616.1 
Hi Danny,

> Just wondering (Michael) if there could be a simpler way,
> a script maybe which will do it in one step without having
> to delete surfaces afterwards ?

It'll be difficult to do with a script because the script will have a tough time figuring out which of those resulting edges is the one that should be extracted.

But I think this is something that I could tune up to work like you want just built into the regular command for v2.

But it may be a better match with the Construct / Curve / Isect command instead of boolean intersection, because that curve one is oriented towards creating curve outputs only.

The boolean one is more focused on creating surfaces in situations like that, and although the surfaces in your example are not useful, if one of the curves is closed, it will create this:

Which is more of a potentially useful thing. If I changed boolean intersection to generate the curve in this situation, it would take away this particular surface construction ability. On the other hand, the other "create intersection curves" version does not do anything at all in this situation, so it fits kind of easier in there without taking anything away.

How does that sound?

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1616.3 In reply to 1616.2 
As I said it's not a must have, so you've answered my question.

Thanks for that.
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1616.4 In reply to 1616.3 
Hi Danny, well I don't think it will be very difficult to add to the Construct / Curve / Isect command, I'll see if I can squeeze that in for the first v2 beta as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1616.5 In reply to 1616.4 
Hi Michael,
That would be great if you could.