Layers and new release

Next
Michael,
I have seen you mention that the next beta will include a new editing frame ( I have seen the thread on this).
This editing frame may be a nice little addition,
personally though I like the mode of operation of modo at the moment, and the toolset is quite sufficient.

In my opinion it would be really nice would be to see the progress on the layers and group system,
and on export and import capabilities.

I have bought one license of moi, as i really like the workflow, but other than to model bits and pieces here and there, I am not using the license very much.
I need to be able to be able to organise complex object hierearchies, and be able to communicate with other software.

Once layers are implemented, and I can export layers as separate objects or layers,
I could imagine that we buy a couple of additional seats of moi here ,and that we start actually using it for production.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1613.2 In reply to 1613.1 
Hi okapi, it won't be much longer before I start on the object organizing system. That's going to be a focus for the second beta.

I've just wrapped up the work on the editing frame, and I have a couple other things I want to add in for the first beta release. So that shouldn't be much longer.

re: export and import capabilities - are there any other specific things that you are looking for in export and import capabilities other than keeping layer/grouping type information in place?

The object organizing system is going to be a pretty big piece of work, it will probably span a few beta releases to work on it. The early ones will probably be focused on just the UI and general approach and not quite have the import/export stuff working yet until the overall approach is finalized.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
hi Michael,

well one important thing is that the layer structure be kept somehow upon export,
so if exporting OBJ, that the exported meshes are grouped in a similar way as in Moi.

AS far as import goes, this may altogether be another piece of work,
but it would be good to have at least a dxf import (since DWG is propietary), in order to bring in CAD plans into moi.
I know there is a DXF to 3md utility; could this not be automated in moi, so that if one tries to open a DXF in moi,the dxf is transformed into a 3dm file (ideally with layer order), and then opened in moi.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1613.4 In reply to 1613.3 
This is exactly my thought as well, except I would like to see both DXF in and DXF out. This would then allow both import and output to and from the 2D CAM softwares I play with. If MoI could handle 2D work in this manner, I would have no use for any other drawing software. Keep up the great work!

JP
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All