Perpendiculars objects copies with duplication along path tool

Next
Michael,

Could it be possible to have one more option in the "objects duplication along curve " box of the "trame" tool : Having in the "rotation" box a choice to have "perpendicular" objects copies to the curve path ? Very useful option tool for architects or designers as me ...

Thanks,

Pierre.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1605.2 In reply to 1605.1 
Hi Pierre, can you please show an example of what you mean?

The way it works right now should give you perpendicular object copies already, as long as your initial one starts out perpendicular as well.

For example, starting with this shape which is arranged to be perpendicular to the curve:

After performing array along curve, each of the copied objects will also be perpendicular:

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1605.3 In reply to 1605.2 
Michael,

in 2D objects, i have no problem. But when you have a 2d object with a thickness (3d), the perpandicular position of the initial object is lost for the copies ... in all cases. Maybe it is not the right way to make it ...

Thanks Michael,

Pierre.

PS : Not the good attachment file , i try again in few minutes ...

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1605.4 In reply to 1605.3 
Sorry Michael, it works correctly now ... i should have not started with a correct perpandicular angle with the initial object !!.

Bye,

Pierre.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1605.5 In reply to 1605.4 
Hi Pierre, right - to maintain a perpendicular when traveling along the curve, your object should start out perpendicular to the curve initially.

In your case there the object was aligned to the world axis, but the curve was going in a different direction than that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1605.6 In reply to 1605.5 
Michael,

Again my problem ... Please, have a look to my file. I start with a perfect perpendicular generic line (draw in 2d window) and after all copies direction go wrong. Why ???

Thanks, Pierre.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1605.7 In reply to 1605.6 
Maybe like this? ;)
And try to use the flat, none and free form option ;)
In your case free form works but you must draw the first line on the start of the curve!

EDITED: 16 May 2008 by PILOU

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1605.8 In reply to 1605.6 
Hi Pierre,

The perpendicular line needs to be at the start or end of the control curve (the curve you are going to array along).
If you need to start the array part way along the control curve, then split the control curve at that point (you can split a curve using "trim", but keep the parts)

- manz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1605.9 In reply to 1605.8 
Yup, Steve has the answer, you need to place your initial curve at the endpoint of the curve and then it will work as you expect.

Basically the movement and rotation that is applied by array curve starts with an initial reference frame of the start of the curve, then moves that frame as it travels along the curve.

Your curve is at some offset from the starting frame, so you are seeing that same offset applied to each copy.

I can kind of see what you were expecting, but it seems like it would be difficult to adapt the array on curve to work like that. Like for example say you said you wanted 5 copies of that object along that curve. But your object is not at 1/4 of the distance along that curve, so I guess I would make copies starting there and moving along one direction of the curve, but which direction? Right now array on curve avoids this problem by always using the entire extent of the curve.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All