Wireframe & Quads only request

Next
Sorry if you have already reply to this request, I try to search in the forum with no result.
I'm using lyes (BLYESS) User Interface (Thanks a lot for this!) and I want to know if is possible to add an icon with the wireframe view (not shaded). There is a command for this? Could be useful sometimes (at least for me).

Another request: is possible to add a "Quads only" option to the OBJ exporter?

Thanks
Luca
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1594.2 In reply to 1594.1 
Hi, Luca

My name is Marco fro Italy

you are italian ?

By

Marco
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1594.3 In reply to 1594.1 
Hi Luca, it's not really a full wireframe mode, but on Petr's page here:
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/#WireFrameDisplayMode
there is a script that you can set up which will hide all faces leaving only edges being displayed.

It will kind of give you a quick wireframe display but you can't really work on it very easily because things like selection doesn't work very well when no faces are displayed.

I do want to add a proper wireframe mode in the future but it will require quite a few changes to selection, it is not really just a simple change to display only.

One thing for now - make sure you have the options for "Display hidden-line curves" and "Display hidden-line edges" turned on in the Options dialog, under the View section. That gives you a lot of the abilities of wireframe mode even in shaded display because lines that would normally be hidden by the surface shading are visible in the faint dashed line style and can be selected similar to a wireframe display.

re: Quads only option - that is also something that I would like to try adding in the future at some point, but it would involve creating quads that followed trimming boundaries instead of following the natural UV layout of the surface. Unfortunately that's a very difficult thing to set up, it is much more natural from a NURBS processing perspective to quads that are aligned to the UV structure of the surface rather than at any random angle.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1594.4 In reply to 1594.3 
Thanks for the "as usual" fast reply.

And yes marcorhino I'm italian.

Ciao
Luca
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1594.5 In reply to 1594.4 
"All Quads" export is the Holy Grail of 3D modeling, it's also the hardest to achieve!

If Michael was able to pull it off, I believe he'd also be the FIRST to do it!

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1594.6 In reply to 1594.5 
NPower has a plugin for Max that does it...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
1594.7 In reply to 1594.6 
Hi Jonah, I believe that plugin only does it on Polygon objects, not NURBS objects.

I actually have that exact same code available to me over here, it is part of the Solids++ kernel which includes IntegrityWare's polygon mesh library functions as well.

Back a couple of months ago when I saw a bunch of discussions on this, I tried enabling this code and I'm afraid the results were just not very promising - I just did not think that the resulting quality was high enough to really do the job properly. There are some situations where it works ok but it was a very big "hit or miss" type situation.

There were some other issues too - it just wasn't a proper fit for handling curved surfaces instead of planar ones.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All