Brompton (WIP)
All  1-2  3-7

Previous
Next
1591.3 In reply to 1591.2 
> Poly modeling is great for a much different style of shapes, like organic stuff that has lots of little wrinkles and folds in it. Stuff like faces and creatures. So which type of approach you might use might depend a lot on what kind of model you are working on.

Well that's what I was thinking too, until I find this thread ^

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=307349

Incredible technique !

Btw nice start David :)

EDITED: 8 May 2008 by PAQ

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1591.4 In reply to 1591.3 
Hi PaQ, yup that thread is definitely impressive. But if you read it, you will find that the person who made those worked for 3 years developing their modeling technique to do it. In that time they developed a lot of skill and working methods to deal with a high density of points.

So if you have 3 years to devote to it, you could certainly use NURBS modeling to create such models.

Here's another similar one:
http://3drender.com/jbirn/ea/HeadModel.html

But that one is also done by someone who invested a lot of time perfecting their technique.

Subd style modeling basically allows for a more flexible type of point layout, it basically kind of opens up more kinds of paths for different modeling strategies for high detailed type point manipulation style modeling which is what face modeling is all about.

Please note that face modeling is not "easy" to do in sub-d modeling either... It still takes quite a lot of time and effort to get comfortable with doing faces in a subd modeler as well.

But the subd toolset just fits more naturally with that style of modeling.

For industrial / man-made type shapes that can be defined by profile curves, this balance is very much reversed, the NURBS modeling toolset is a much better fit for that, and Subd modeling tools tend to be frustrating and very time consuming to try and do operations that flow naturally and quickly in this area with NURBS modeling.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1591.5 In reply to 1591.4 
I ear you Michael, I have 10 years of sub-d modeling experience, so I have a good idea of what is possible to do with polys. Basically with 3 commands you can build everything you want. And that's also why I appreciate Moi so much today, Moi give me some fresh air, and I just never want to come back to polys for hard surfacing, architecture stuffs etc.

About the head sample you show, I'm not really impressed sorry :S That's exactly the kind of exemple where nurbs seems to fail for me, and I will never try to build a model like that ... but hey, that's nothing compared to Jinwoo Lee work.

I will never go that far of course, and I clearly understand that this guy has a lot of knowledge and experience ... but still, what kind of tool set do we need in Moi to do this kind of modeling (patch) ? I'm not talking here about artisan to create high density details and alll this stuff, but maybe just a way to build patch (network ?) and somehow nicely blend them together :o). (as we discuss here http://moi3d.com/forum/messages.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1596.1 )

If I can use patch technique to build some simple but very organic shape, and then have access to all the traditionnal nurbs toolset (booleans, fillet, ...) to add mechanic details, then I will have a serious weapon in my hand :P

That's said, sorry for the thread hijacking ...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1591.6 In reply to 1591.5 
Hi PaQ - let's continue this more over on the other thread.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
>That's said, sorry for the thread hijacking ...

No problem, this is very informative anyway.

David
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-7