CAM Software
 1-2  3-22  23-34
Thread Split: Some posts in this thread were moved from here

Previous
Next
1586.3 In reply to 1586.2 
Hi Michael,

>>>But yeah maybe starting a new thread for it would be a good idea.

Could you not split the posts?

Certainly I can give feedback on many CAM, the output etc (mastercam/ edgecam etc. etc.) I have used over years.

- manz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1586.4 In reply to 1586.3 
Hi Steve / Michael,

I would also be interested to see a new thread and contribute the same...

Greets,
--Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1586.5 In reply to 1586.2 
Hi Michael,

Almost every manufacturer of printers use windows
as standard.

So it's just plug&play and eliminates the use of export
filters

Hopely this will be the case with cad/cam in te future.

So printing something physical in 3d would be as easy
as printing on a piece of paper
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1586.6 In reply to 1586.5 
Hi Paolo,

I believe that is already the case with rapid proto type machines (SLA models). In terms of CAM this is a much more involved process and takes a lot of understanding not only from a modeling point of view and what can be physically machined but also the method or holding the part etc...

--

> I have a CNC milling machine and am interested in attempting to machine a model made in MoI.

Ed - If you have a model created in MoI, post it to the forum so we can pass on comments, methods?

All the best,
--Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi all,

I am not sure of the directions users want to take with this. Be it from a drawing (of a needed part) that we then build in MoI then export to 3rd party CAM for path creation? or should we just make up a part, be it a drawing for building, or from a posted model?

The CAM software I have (when I can find it) is certainly outdated, (I never found need to update/upgrade) and the last contracts where in-house on Heidenhain control, so with the variable programming / pocket clearance (regular/ user) I found no need for CAM.

So how should we proceed? I can certainly make a model or drawing for a part (there is then no problem with privacy etc of the part to be made)

- manz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1586.8 In reply to 1586.7 
Hi Steve,

>So how should we proceed? I can certainly make a model or drawing for a part (there is then no problem with privacy etc of the part to be >made)

Sure thing - post away. If 'Ed' has a model in particular maybe he could post that also ?

Cheers,
--Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1586.9 In reply to 1586.6 
> I have a CNC milling machine and am interested in attempting to machine a model made in MoI.

> Ed - If you have a model created in MoI, post it to the forum so we can pass on comments, methods?

I have a small, homemade 4-axis CNC milling machine made from surplus precision ball-screw linear slides with stepper motors. The work envelope is about 6" long, 4" wide, and 3" high. So you can see I'm working with small objects and small tooling. Accuracy is good and repeatability is good. So far all my work has been 2D and hand-coded in G-Code.

As I gain experience with MoI I would like to attempt to mill a 3D design sometime. I'm hoping someone who has done this can recommend software on a hobbyist budget.

Ed

Seattle, Washington
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1586.10 In reply to 1586.9 
Hi Ed,

>>I have a small, homemade 4-axis CNC milling machine made from surplus precision ball-screw linear slides with stepper motors.

I am very impressed.

CAM software can be expensive, there was at one time software available freely, such as "CNCsimulator" but find all links to that now dead.

I will e-mail around to see what is still available.

I would have no problem, if you like, to create path info for you freely, just a need for me to know your available tooling.

- manz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1586.11 In reply to 1586.10 
Hi Steve / Ed,

Worth a look :-

>>http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cadcam.htm

BTW: What system do you have Steve and does it support 4 axis ?

Rgds,
--Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1586.12 In reply to 1586.11 
Hi Paul,

>>What system do you have Steve and does it support 4 axis ?

I dont have any machines. I am a contractor, and either provide needed path data or go in-house and produce either directly or by data from their own CAM, or via the programs I have.

It is the way I have worked for over 25 years, and works well for both parties.

The link you provide, yes, it does give some possibilities and certainly worth a look by Ed.

- manz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1586.13 In reply to 1586.12 
hi all ive been away and seen the post i do cnc machining and the easiest program for cad that ive found is vetric just draw and save as obj 3ds stl and load and cut very easy on some of my other post i have som examples fairley cheep to couple hundred bucks
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1586.14 In reply to 1586.12 
Hi Steve,

>>I dont have any machines. I am a contractor, and either provide needed path data or go in-house and >>produce either directly or by data from their own CAM, or via the programs I have.

>>It is the way I have worked for over 25 years, and works well for both parties

OK I get the picture.....what I meant was does your CAM system support 4axis because I believe Ed may well be looking for that facility as an example?

Just curious what CAM systems are you familiar with ? Myself, I have used Depocam & EdgeCAM, EdgeCAM being what we use today to program our mould tools.

Cheers,
--Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1586.15 In reply to 1586.9 
To Ed,

Maybe this link is interesting:
http://www.majosoft.com/engraving/html/free_cad_cam_software.html

This a dutch (inglish spoken) site about homemade cnc

To karter, message accepted
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1586.16 In reply to 1586.14 
Hi Paul,

>>>what I meant was does your CAM system support 4axis because I believe Ed may well be looking for that facility as an example?

I have been digging through my software, up to now I have found Edgecam (version 5) and Mastercam (version 9.1), I have used both in the past.
I will have to take a little time to refresh with these applications, it has been a while, but I do remember Mastercam having up to 5 axis toolpaths, but it was limited. As I say, I will have to re-look.

Ed, what is the 4th axis on your machine?

- manz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1586.17 In reply to 1586.16 
My 4th axis is a rotary table ( A axis ).

Of course software that doesn't support a rotary axis can usually still be used if you make your design fit exactly around the circumference of the part.

I've made an Excel macro that divides the length of the design into 360 degrees and converts the G-Code into equivalent A axis moves.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1586.18 In reply to 1586.17 
Hi Ed,

Is the head fixed, or can it be manually rotated?

Have you managed to find any software that interests you ?

- manz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1586.19 In reply to 1586.16 
Hi Steve,

Okay...I know what that feels like. I have the same problem with EdgeCAM and Rhino trying to remember
where it all is, thats the beauty of MoI it's simple interface draws me in !!.

--

Ed,

When you say rotary table I assume you mean 90deg opposed to the spindle axis, that is the normal 4th axis and used for machining items 360deg like an engraved cylinder for example ?

Im sure both myself & Steve would be happy to look at machining a model of yours but I would only be able to machine 3axis im afraid or 5axis positional, the 4 axis was not purchased when we bought EdgeCAM :-(

Please post a model you want to cut and a picture of your machine.

Rgds,
--Paul
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1586.20 In reply to 1586.19 
Hi Paul,

>>>I know what that feels like. I have the same problem with EdgeCAM and Rhino trying to remember where it all is

I have just looked at Mastercam for about 20 minutes. I do remember the main functions etc. I also remember the main problem I had was getting my head into the part modeling, as it is more a case of just building the surfaces with boundaries and/or contours rather than creating a 3d model. But as I build externally, then not a real problem.

@Ed,
Can all axis be used while machining? I know on some similar setups it was not always possible.

I will put together a quick model to play with:

- manz
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
1586.21 In reply to 1586.20 
A quick simple model:-

It could have an hole in center for clamping, or possibly held on excess in chuck? does not really matter (it could even be pre-turned) its just to have a play, so would think to mill all.(internal rads @ 0.75mm)

model attached as ZIP

-manz

EDITED: 3 Aug 2009 by MANZ

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks for the offers guys - but I don't have a model in mind yet. I was just curious if anyone has machined a MoI model, and if so, what software was used.

Here's a possibility:
http://www.deskproto.com/gallery/reference.htm

By the way - my mill has the rotary axis 90 degrees to the spindle, so I can cut around a cylinder.

Machining has its limitations of course. Just because you can draw a model doesn't mean you can machine it. However, for those who make castings, the latest thermal wax printers have incredible accuracy and can pretty much reproduce in 3D anything you can create. I expect MoI to have a market for this type of application. See:
http://www.2objet.com/Misc/Gallery/tabid/70/AlbumID/393-22/Default.aspx

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-2  3-22  23-34